Temp too hot how to reduce?

sheena22

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
23 degrees C at the mo,

just a quick question do i put a frozen drinks bottle in there to cool temp down or is it going to reduce rapidly and go up rapidly if i dont replace bottles quick enough?

Thanks x

You could try a water change at a slightly lower temperature?? Leave the lid off, if you have one on?? Maybe not do the water change at this time of night though unless you are a night owl like me!!

I actually have some fridged dechlorinated water! Its normally a fine temp in my house, im not sure if the temp strip is reading wrong because i dont know if its that hot, ill wait till tomorow, i am a night owl, but unfortunately my mum isnt so much haha xx

I have a thermometer that does readings from outside the house and inside, my tank is in the kitchen as is the thermometer. I can easily see how warm the kitchen is, and the temperature strip on the tank generally reads the same, luckily the kitchen does not get the sun, and when the outside temperature is below the inside temperature, I open the back door and let the cool air in to cool the room and the tank. When I change the water in the tank if it is slightly too warm, I generally do a 50% change and lower the temperature by a couple of degrees, which when mixed with the original tank water does not shock the critters. At the mo, my cold tap temperature is 19 degrees which is a good one to go with. Good luck!!

With a frozen water bottle, you have 45 minutes before you'll need to switch it out, so you'll be running around like a chook with your head cut off... As Laalflaach suggested, getting the lid off will help. Something I'll add is get a fan or two (or three-As big as you own), and put it at a 45 degree angle to the water surface. It'll plummet the temp nicely to the point where you won't need to freak out....
The key at the moment is to keep it down, but more importantly, STABLE! Having just survived the aussie summer without a big chiller (Which i now have-Thank HEAVENS!), it's more stressful on both you and your babies if you're freaking out with every little rise, so be sensible in the way you're going to deal- long term practical solutions help a lot more than running back and forth with everything acting like a yo-yo at the world championships....

I agree, the fan will do just as much, and it requires a lot less "tending". If you remove the lid, be sure to put on something (like a screen or mesh of some kind) to prevent the axolotl from jumping out. This has been known to happen. For additional ideas, see
Caudata Culture Articles - Cooling

Thanks everyone fan on lid off no mesh for now, but im keeping a close eye on the bugger, i know she will jump out eventually! xx ideal temp for axies ? x

As low as you can without the water freezing (And condensation flooding your room :D ) (Gets the limbo tune in head...)

I was told to do this. frozen waterbottles. It lasted me about 3 days? before i said this is so pointless. I went down to the aquarium and i was looking at HEATERS. yes you heard me. heaters because bringing physics into things, theres no such thing as cold...its a lack of heat. My heater drops down at 15 degrees c. so i put the set point at 17 and my axolotl is happy as larry! Its always worth a try because it saved me heaps. This was a big thing for me to find living in australia, specially up north because during summer it gets really hot. Cant say the same for UK but goodluck :)

water cooler = $500 (set point of 2c)

water heater = $20 (set point of 15c)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back