Question: Just got a tank and axolotl

TonyT

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi guys,

Just got a tank and axolotl off someone.

One problem that I have is than there is only a little water from the tank.
So the water is going to be from the tap, but I can get some off a mate who has an aquarium so some of the water balanced.

Will it be alright to put the axolotl straight into a tank with testing the water have around 7pH, I know that it should be about 4-7 days before you put fish in a tank. But the axle is sitting in a small container.

It will most likely be
20% aquarium water
80% tap water

Hey! Pick up some water ager from a pet store, big W or Kmart. Mix it in with the tap water according to the directions and you will be right to go.

Once the axolotl is in the tank make sure you keep the water clean by doing water changes, and a filter is highly recomended. You will find plenty of threads in here about cycling the filter and propper housing, the seach function is fantastic :D

also make sure the tank has minimal light, is kept 18C or lower, has little water flow, no gravel and has plenty of places for your axolotl to hide.

good luck, can we see photos?

cheers yellowpebble. I have a filter which I should have said before and had the water ages which I added soo it should hopefully be all good. also for a hiding spot have a terracotta pipe form my old fish tank of an axolotl.

I believe the filter should have been cycled because it was from the person that had the axolotl before me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back