Best way to ship adult axolotls?

pent565

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've managed to find someone who will sell me a breeding pair of Axolotls. I'm thrilled, but we're working out how to get them to me. I've ready everything from plastic bags in Styrofoam to wet moss in plastic in Styrofoam. How do we ship my adult axies? It would be costly to just buy a bunch of juvies and pray for a m/f pair to come out of it.

This is a tricky shipment to do. If you have any doubts about the person doing the sending, don't do it at all!

First off, you should be very careful about the weather. Ship when it's cool, but not freezing. Consider the weather at both ends, and possibly in between too.

There are two methods that would work. My preference is to use breather bags. These are air-permeable bags, and you'll need the largest size. I'm not sure where to get them in Canada, but they are always being sold on AquaBid. You put in enough water for the animal to be comfortable, and no air space. Each axolotl should be bagged separately, and double-bagged with two breather bags each.

The other way is in large ziplock bags, with half water and half air. Double or triple bagged, and sealed shut with lots of tape. Remember that on airplanes there are pressure changes, so don't fill the bags all the way with air, leave some room for expansion.

The bags should be nested in soft packing materials and boxed. If the weather is warm, you'll need an insulated box and cold packs. And it helps to start the animals in refrigerated water.

All the water and cold packs will make the package very heavy, so expect to pay a bundle for shipping. When I shipped two adults, the package weighed over 4 pounds (2+ kilos).

All the water and cold packs will make the package very heavy, so expect to pay a bundle for shipping. When I shipped two adults, the package weighed over 4 pounds (2+ kilos).
I looked up the actual shipping weight: 4 lb, 12 oz

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back