Black granite tiles

pookiewn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I literally just bought 16 black chinese granite tiles on ebay, bargain they were, lol! I was hoping to use them in the tank if I could. They are brand new, so no adhesive, but thought I'd check to make sure it's safe to use them.
Thank you :happy:

I think you should be fine using those. Most of the granite in the world is SiO2, so I don't see a problem with them affecting the water chemistry. Can you post a few pictures so I can more closley examine them? Is it polished or flakey? Does it look peppered?

Weathering of Granite
This reads as though the lighter the granite the greater the break down or solubility of granite in water so the black will not 'leech' minerals as fast as a lighter granite.
Biotite Mica K(FeMg)3 AlSi3O10 (OH)2 These are the dark colors in that make up your granite.

As a precaution since I'm not a qualified chemist biologist or geologist:cool: I would keep an eye on your auxies, the water hardness and the chemistry in your tank.

Thank you, I knew granite was on the safe list was just a bit worried about it being chinese granite. The bloke I bought them from sounded like he knew what he was talking about, and said they were true black instead of being dyed. However, it looks like they've been earmarked for the new shower now, lol!
When I find my cable I'll upload a couple of pics :eek:

As long as it does not have inclusions of metals, you are good to go. (micah is nothing to worry about, though it does look like a metal.That is most often what the sparkly gold flakes are) If you are still a bit worried, seal it with a few coated of clear urethane.

Oh, and remember to upload photos of how you used them in your setup for other members to gawk at!

I can't open the link...I would really like to read it

Aye, that link is broken, looks like a bit or two missing from the line. Good news is you can easily read it from the links on the forum toolbar, or many of the signatures of our "power" users.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back