Water Carrying Advice

scooty16

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Scooty
I was told to use the tap water from the kitchen rather than the bathroom, which isn't a problem expect it is beginning to get tiresome for me lugging 10 litre buckets of water at a time up the stairs, also little 'slops' of water come out over the top of the bucket where I am lugging it everywhere.

So does anyone have any good hints or tips when transporting water that makes it less tiresome and messy for me?

It may sound obvious, but try not filling the bucket was much.

I'm lucky as the laundry is down the corridor from my room, it's only a few meters away from my bedroom door.

Just curious, why were you told to use kitchen water instead?

Get someone else to carry the bucket :cool:

Not sure why you would use kitchen water instead of bathroom water though..?

Yes I guess the obvious would be to prehaps fill to 5 litres instead :p

Well I did water tests on two samples of water: one from the bathroom and one from the kitchen. The kitchen tap had less nitrates in it than the bathroom water for some odd reason, so I figured the tap water from the kitchen was better....

I have to do the same thing. the ph in my kitchen is around 7.8, and the ph in the bathroom is like 8.0-8.2. It's the weirdest thing :/

I have to do the same thing. the ph in my kitchen is around 7.8, and the ph in the bathroom is like 8.0-8.2. It's the weirdest thing :/

Weird indeed. I never would have thought to check, but I'm going to tomorrow!

haha me too! that is odd. It would probably have something to do with the plumbing in the house and pipes and stuff.

My Granda says its the pipes lol they make the water different. I can't use my bathroom either so I lug 12 litres up and down the stairs, doing wonders for my arms ;) I just make sure I hold the bucket by the sides not the handle and walk slow. I then use an old ice cream tub and a half a big water bottle to scoop the water into the tank (I scoop with the bottle, then I use the tub to hold under it so no drips hit my carpet/cabinet) works a treat and only takes about 20 mins do the whole thing (clean and change). When David is here I get him to hold the bucket higher than the tank and I siphon the water back in against the tank wall slowly.

I reeeeaaaly need to tone up the ole arms so I'm loving the extra exercise :D

I have to use water from the tap in my shed, as the water in the house goes mouldy in 3 days!

My preferred method from when I had to use tap water (I use a mix of recycled tank and rain water now) was a garden hose adapter for the sink. My wife had a fit over this, so I imagine most other folks would have issues from their cohabitators too.

I also used 5 gallon buckets often, but old injuries prevent me from lifting them to the tanks, so a "drill pump" solved this issue for me. (Google drill pump, they are cheap. Of course they are only useful if you own a cordless drill....)

I mix water with dechlorinator in 1-gallon (4-liter) jugs. I carry about 4-8 of these downstairs daily, 2 at a time. I prefer to carry the water in small containers and make multiple trips rather than trying to lug bucketsful.

the water comes out brown for a few minutes when we run the bath :(

come to think of it we do use the water from outside but we use the hose, we just bring it inside, squirt it in the tank and dechlorinate from there. Its not because of water quality (i tested it last night, all good), its just easier that carrying buckets of tap water. I have yet to test the brown bath water though... that could be interesting!

you could try a hose, it is easier, but i guess it depents on how big your house is, how many stories and if you can attach the hose to whatever water supply you are using.

the water comes out brown for a few minutes when we run the bath :(

come to think of it we do use the water from outside but we use the hose, we just bring it inside, squirt it in the tank and dechlorinate from there. Its not because of water quality (i tested it last night, all good), its just easier that carrying buckets of tap water. I have yet to test the brown bath water though...

I would stick with the faucet that doesn't come out brown to start, though you could use it if it tests out OK. You would have to let the water run for at least 5 minutes; personally I hate to waste water like that.

(On a side note, you may want to have someone inspect your bath plumbing as what you describe is often an indicator of corrosion inside the riser pipes. Often the galvanization erodes away and you end up with rust. This weakens pipes and damages valves; it could lead to a very messy, expensive leak especially if the pipe or valve fails!)

I have 9 litre buckets which I fill up to 8 litres (conveniently my dechlorinator is 2 drops per 4 litres). Then I walk from the outside tank to my bedroom carrying 2 buckets full (about 40m no stairs).

I used to be a swimmer so my arms don't mind it at all. Not to mention I had ducks when I was younger so full buckets of water, and my arms are very well acquainted lol..

I do pity you guys with stairs though.. I've never liked stairs..

sliding down stairs in a sleeping bag makes having them worth it!

what you people really need is a golden retriever to haul your water :D

btw, when testing water from the pipe, you might want to let it run a bit before testing. If it's been sitting in the pipes a while, the pH could go up due to dissolving Calcium deposits in the pipes....

Wow I didn't think there would be this many replies! :D it's interesting to hear all you guys though, I love it. :happy:

Okay well I guess I should quit my whining and just carry on hauling that water up the stairs! :p I was thinking of the hose idea, but I don't think my mum would be too happy about that.....:eek: It's also interesting to see that others have the same problem with the bath tap, I always thought my house was piped up weird or something!

yellowpebble, I used to slide down my stairs in like jogging bottoms when I was little! My mum said at her old flat when she was younger, she would use a matress, talk about a little extreme ;) Ahh I miss being small and doing all these crazy risky things, now I have to ACTUALLY think about things first :p

Molch that is the cutest thing I've ever seen! And I am a little jelly that you can get such cold water! hehe!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back