Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Australian laws

Sean89

Reaction score
Hi guys I was just wondering are axolotl's the only legal kind of salamander you can keep in australia? Are you able to import any other kind of newt/salamander with a certain kind of reptile license?

I was just told that axies were the only legal ones so just double checking :) thanks.

The Banana

Reaction score
Hey Sean, unfortunately, this is correct. Axolotls are the only allowed salamander in Australia, and we aren't allowed to import any other sals (well any non-native animals at all really). This also means we can't have GFP axies.

It's a real shame, but look on the bright side - at least we can have these lovely creatures, and without having to get a license, too.

Minniechild

Reaction score
Welcome, Sean! Sadly, yes. The only newt or salamander we are permitted in Australia is the Ambystoma mexicanum... (Or darling axolotl). Why? Because importing ANYTHING live into the country takes an eternity, (As in three months of quarantine for a DOG...
As to any type of amphibian, a few years ago there was a push for a change in the law which permits organisms who have come from secure lab facities, had a FULL vet examination and are proven to be from disease free bloodlines to be brought into the country. The catches?
1. These animals are to be for REGISTERED laboratory facility ONLY (nothing for us poor enthusiasts :( )
2. The animals/spawn are to be taken to from their point of entrance to a Quarantine Certified facility, which they are not permitted to leave.
3. Upon completion of the research the creatures were involved in, they and any and all offspring are to be destroyed, with their remains incinerated.

In other words, we're doomed to not get anything new and shiny here. In Tassie it's even worse- Nothing in, nothing out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Minniechild

Reaction score
Yup! And if you're absolutely desperate, there's been a rise in the aussie lines of morp-olotls around, but CHECK which lines they're from so you don't end up with a dead-olotl in six months :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1