Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hey all, newcomer with question.. Help

kelmac312

Reaction score
My axolotl has gotten dirt (looks like dirt) on his hands and feet. The only thing i could think is it coming off the logs in the tank. Is there anyway I can clean him? Or is it best to just leave it.
He looks so good and then there is dirt on his hands and feet! Help, Thank You!

Minniechild

Reaction score
Got a pic? Chances are if it looks like s/he's been playing in paint, then they're sexually mature (Just their way of showing it off), but post a pic just in case :) ) (Oh, and just in case, could you also give us your water parameters?)

kelmac312

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Minniechild, i've attached a few photos but it doesn't really show up that well.
it's only a small thing but i'm curious about it. I've only had him for a month & the aquarium said he was only young, would he be sexually mature yet?
How do I find out my water parametres?

Thank you for your help
p.s. I know I need to change the rocks because they're too small, do you know how I can tell if he's already swallowed one?

Attachments

• SAM_1935.jpg
    SAM_1935.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 165
  • SAM_1934.jpg
    SAM_1934.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 129
  • SAM_1933.jpg
    SAM_1933.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 122

Minniechild

Reaction score
Yup, sexually maturity. Axolotls can come into sexual maturity any time from six months to two years after they hatch- My original axies were hatched june/july last years and were showing signs of maturity back in Feb/March/April, though the longer you can leave off on breeding the better (Well over a year is usually a good guideline, but sometimes they have their own ideas and eggies end up covering everything-This has yet to happen to me, but considering Bertie appears right now to be my only female, not too surprising).
Glad you're getting rid of the pebbles- If you're having trouble getting a new base, go bare bottomed for a while, it won't make that much of a difference and will save you the stress of freaking out over if he's decided to geologically supplement his diet. There are some really pretty sand mixes if you want to keep it colourful. As to telling if he's swallowed one, keep an eye on him. Search on the site for impaction, watch if he starts floating (Not just hanging out on the filter cables and plants, but spaceship like). Treatment if he has swallowed one is usually fridging- there are some excellent resources on how to do it, as they cold temps of the fridge slow down the metabolism and make passing things much easier on the critter.
As to water parameters, you'll need to pick up a DROP test (Not a strip test!) Master kit- They're between $40 online and $200 in the shops- the ultra expensive ones are for those who like to go overboard (Eventually I may even get the overboard one myself :D ) Also, a thermometer to make sure your tank is below 23c (Above that, things start getting hairy and deadly...).
Hope I've been able to help (And I'm sure everyone else will chime in in a few minutes!)

kelmac312

Reaction score
Thanks for that, I don't plan on breeding. ok, so dirt nothing to be worried about.

oh wow, i just read about fridging. it sounds really intense for my lil man. i don't think he is at that point, he's pretty active and loves his food. but i read somewhere else that if he has a bruised like spot on his abdomen then that means he has swallowed one and he has always had that, even since i got him from the aquarium. so now i am not sure what to do?!

Impaction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1