Illness/Sickness: Axolotl not eating / hiding in his cave

rosstxttpo

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Display Name
Ross TxT-TPO
We have a 5 year old male axolotl and recently (about 4/5 days ago) he has lost his appetite.

We noticed he had some fungus on his gills last week so gave him a few salt baths and it is all gone. His gills dont look brilliant but the fungus is gone.

Since then, he hasnt moved much and is now just hiding out in his cave. We try to feed him every night but get very little response. When we first put the food in, he'll pop his head out of the cave. We'll put the food right in front of his face but he'll either ignore it completely or back away from it.

Any suggestions on how to get him out and eating again?

Oh, the levels in his tank all seem OK.

How long has it been since the salt baths?
Temperature?
Any recent tank changes? light, substrate, filter, plants, animals?

Does the hiding not seem normal to you?
Are there any other symptoms?

It's possible he may be stressed from the salt baths. From what I've read it seems like he is just stressed salt bath's are hard for them.

What do you feed him?

If you feel he's getting too skinny you can force feed him. There is a sticky at the top of the sick axototl blog BUT I would wait a long while before you put him through that, post some pictures of when you think hes getting too skinny and get a second oppinion.

Chances are he is stressed and should be fine in a few days. Keep the water oxygenated and cooled and darker.

Can you post some pictures?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back