Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help With Sexing Some Indecisive Axies Please?

memojo1979

Reaction score
Okay, I'm trying to help a new friend, who has adopted 1 of the adult goldens from me + her axies seem to change their sex every photo she sent to me (no comments on the handling of them please - we had that conversation already) Also, they were only on the (very fine) gravel while the in-water photos were taken, so had no time to start sniffling for food.

There is a large black (melanoid?) -

Attachments

• Ellie Black 1.jpg
    Ellie Black 1.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 172
  • Ellie Black 2.jpg
    Ellie Black 2.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 164
  • Ellie Black 3.jpg
    Ellie Black 3.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 163
  • Ellie Black 4.jpg
    Ellie Black 4.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

memojo1979

Reaction score
A 3yr old skinny leucistic -

Attachments

• Ellie Leucy 1.jpg
    Ellie Leucy 1.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 155
  • Ellie Leucy 2.jpg
    Ellie Leucy 2.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 115
  • Ellie Leucy 3.jpg
    Ellie Leucy 3.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 136
  • Ellie Leucy 4.jpg
    Ellie Leucy 4.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 444

helobed

Reaction score
it would seem that the 'black' and golden albino are both males as both have relatively large cloaca (hard to tell from small pics.)

As for the leucistic, I can't be sure as the cloaca seems a bit small. the roundness towards the abdomen could indicate the presence of eggs or it could be a slightly underdeveloped male due to its skinniness.

Personally, I would lean towards female but you never know, people often think they have one sex axie and it randomly turns out to be the opposite!

hope that helps,
If not some larger picture would be handy, especially some close ups on the cloaca.

iChris

Reaction score
people often think they have one sex axie and it randomly turns out to be the opposite!

I had that issue! I believed that both my axies were female, but I started seeing spermatophores about my tank. I'm still not sure which axie they are coming from.

memojo1979

Reaction score
Thanks guys :D

The golden kept varying while with me, but I decided it was PROBABLY female, however that 2nd photo is either VERY sore or definately a boy ;) And, since there are clearly 2 red patches, I'd be willing to bet on the latter.

I guessed at boy for the black axie, when though I've been told that the belly is actually as wide as the head.

And, I leaned slightly more towards boy for the leucy, purely because it's so slim. My hardly-any-appetite girl is rounder than that, but then again, aparently that leucy hasn't ben eating too well recently either.

iChris - same here - I ended up asking if 1 of mine was constipated or a boy, as it wasn't easy enough to tell + it was only when he turned into a daddy within the same week that I knew for definate :eek:

iChris

Reaction score
well with my 2, I know Lance-Alotl has had some babies, before I got her/him, but the breeder didn't see the act so was not sure who laid the eggs, but was convinced that lance was a female.

but knuckles has a more rounded mid section and is bigger than lance, so I think they are coming from Lance and not knuckles.

iChris

Reaction score
for those still monitoring this thread, I can now confirm that Lance-Alotl is laying the spermatophores! I was watching him as he was sitting on the fake log hide, and I noted sort of "grinding" his backside, and he moved on, and there it was.

finally, some closure!

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
for those still monitoring this thread, I can now confirm that Lance-Alotl is laying the spermatophores! I was watching him as he was sitting on the fake log hide, and I noted sort of "grinding" his backside, and he moved on, and there it was.

finally, some closure!
That's GREAT! I did think Lance would be a more appropriate boys name.. :p

iChris

Reaction score
I know I was shocked. I went to the aquarium shop today that the breeder I got him from works out of and told them that lance was a boy. They were as shocked as I was.

Its just funny that I've had him for a while now and he starts laying them. I think it could be because of knuckles, but they have been together for a few months now and knuckles has been more active than usual over the past week.

Maybe it's something in the water? Haha love perhaps?

iChris

Reaction score
haha, well, I named her Knuckles after Knuckles the Echidna from the sonic series and for the fact that she has 2 extra toes on her front right foot.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1