Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl friendly plants

Jennistophales

Reaction score
I love green cabomba. Its pretty, easy to take care of, and can be planted into substrate or left to float. Plus, my axies love to burrow themselves into it.

carsona246

Reaction score
java moss grows well, I have water wisteria, cabomba, and hornwort in my tank. Anything that's low light and grows quickly should do well

yellowpebble

Reaction score
Most plants for the aquarium will be axolotl friendly, its just axolotl’s aren’t necessarily plant friendly :(

they will dig them up if they are not secured by a pots or suction cups. Also axolotls require cold dimly lit water, where the vast majority of aquarium plants like well lit warm water. This limits your options substantially, however beautiful planted axolotl tanks do exist, but they have a light. If you do want an aquarium light for your plants, make sure you have lots and lots of dark places in your tank for your axolotls to hide. Some axolotls seem to react to light more than others, so if you did want a light, make sure to test out your axolotl’s reaction to it. Mine HATE it, they freak out, but I have hear others who have been quite successful with them.

a few well adapted low light/heat plants do exist as stated above, the java family is great... java moss and java ferns are extremely hearty and will survive fine in an axolotl friendly environment, they also look great! Pennywort and Duckweed are good floating plants, but duckweed grows out of control fast and gets everywhere! Pennywort is hard to find in Aust but not sure about the US and i have never had hornwort experience.

Axolotls do like fake plastic plants a lot too; they do not seem to notice the difference. They will even lay on them. Most people keep plastic ones because its easier, but live plants if you can manage them help with water quality.

iChris

Reaction score
I grow asian ambulia. it grows very fast in strong light and warmer water but grows fine in my cooler and dimly lit axie tank.

when the plant gets too tall, you simply cut the stem back and plant the cutting in the substrate, and it grows into a new plant. planted in dense clumps it looks striking, and it's soft too so no chance of it damaging your animal's skin.

Bdyoung

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions. i was looking at a local store and they sell dwarf baby tears. Does anyone here have experience with that?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1