Question: Can an axolotl live without a filter?

lray

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi there - i have 2 axolotls in a plastic tub in my kitchen. They are there as their new tank hasn't fully cycled. It is looking good though. In the mean time, i change the water in the tub twice a day with de-chlorinated and very safe water. They seem happy and eat their dinner on the evening. The temperature is at a nice cool 17 degrees C. Is this ok to do for a few weeks until the tank is ready for them?? :eek:

They should be just fine. I wouldn't even do water changes that often, I'd do them every other day.

awesome, that puts my mind at rest. They do tend to make a mess in the tub of water, and i did an amonia reading after them bing in there just under the 24 hour mark. There was 0.25 of amonia. And i dont like the thought of my babies living in amonia! :) So i dont mind changing it for the next few weeks. I am seeding my tank and have a heater in there, so fingers crossed it speeds the process up a bit.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back