Marbled Salamander

Hsu Twins

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey Guys, I have a pet marbled salamander, and have had him for a year now with a newt and two fire bellied toads in a 20gall tank, but for two months now I can't find him. I looked under all the rocks and dug in the bedding a lot but still can't find him. Can anyone help?

ok thanks, it may be the newt though because he is quite lot bigger then the marbled salamander, but they have been living together peacefully for a year now. Also, wouldn't the newt die from eating the salamander?

it wouldn't necessarily die - they can eat surprisingly large things.

What species of newt is it?

In any case, you should separate those three as soon as possible. Apart form the danger of one eating or poisoning another, these three really need vastly different living conditions. The marbled salamander is a terrestrial burrower, the newt, if it is a fire belly newt, is probably aquatic but requires cool temperatures, the toads are mostly aquatic but like it quite a bit warmer than the other two.

You couldn't possibly provide all those conditions in one tank, let alone one as small as 20 ga....

I'd suggest rigging the 20 ga for the toads, since they require the most space, finding a plastic tub or something for the salamander and another 10 ga aquarium for the newt. Make sure you have good lids on everything :)

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks, I sure will separate them... Anyway, I just found the salamander under the rocks... it turns out, the people that were taking care of them while we were on vacation couldn't even decently look for him!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back