Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Chillers

xxianxx

Reaction score
Hi, i need some advice on commercially available chillers, my tanks are a bit warm for axolotls, the temp in summer is above 20 c, i have two 125l tanks on a double stand what would be the best chiller to get that would handle both tanks. I need to keep the price down as much as possible. Any advice will be much appreciated . thanks.

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
I've been told that a small chiller will do for my 105L tank, apparently if you have a good filter the chiller doesn't have to work so hard. My filter cycles the entire tank 3 and a bit times per hours.

My LFS has quoted me about $300ish for my chiller... but hoping to snag it cheaper on eBay... maybe?

lea

Reaction score
I have a hailea chiller for my tanks. I have a 130A for my 3ft and 150A for the 5ft one. They work great in our summers.

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
Are chillers quiet? I'd hate to end up with a noisy one after just getting my tank again quiet once i upgraded to my canister filter..

shells

Reaction score
I hardly know when mine's running. Sometime's I will hear it kick in when I'm sitting hear by but other than that I rarely know it's on.

I've also got the Haliea 150A - Boo I got it from this online store:http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/index.php

Not much cheaper than what you have been quoted, but I've bought a few things from them and can not fault their service.

Last edited:

Minniechild

Reaction score
I'm using a resun, got it $299 from my LFS. As to ebay, I hate to say it, $300 is the cheapest I've seen them on there, and usually MUCH more (second hand, barely fifty less...). Your best bet is to be on REALLY good terms with everyone at your LFS and then see what the best price they'll do for you is :D

Minniechild

Reaction score
There's the option of creating a heat sink... my dad made me one for the 45cm tank (Which shall be going to work on the new tank when I *eventually* get it), and it would knock of 3-4 degrees. If you then combine it with a large fan, it works excellently to keep a tank at a decent temperature. I think the plans are online, or else I'll ask him if he's got the diagrams...*Ponders*

blackdog

Reaction score
I use a Hailea as well, cheapest i found was from Guppys (link above in shell's post)

Chillers are not particularly quiet as a rule, but it becomes white noise after a while. Ever lived near a train track? we lived next a train track when i was a young fella. Every morning a 40-50 bin diesel freight train would come past at about 5 am. Rattled the windows, you could feel it vibrate the walls and floor! The first week i nearly fell out of bed with fright :) but after that, i never woke up.

It is a compressor like your fridge, so it sounds like a small fridge starting. Not freight train stuff, but you might need to turn the telly up a notch or two in the romantic scenes.

Bren

xxianxx

Reaction score
There's the option of creating a heat sink... my dad made me one for the 45cm tank (Which shall be going to work on the new tank when I *eventually* get it), and it would knock of 3-4 degrees. If you then combine it with a large fan, it works excellently to keep a tank at a decent temperature. I think the plans are online, or else I'll ask him if he's got the diagrams...*Ponders*

Im probably wrong but dont heat sinks require metal to be inside the tank? Could you find the plans?

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
I use a Hailea as well, cheapest i found was from Guppys (link above in shell's post)

Chillers are not particularly quiet as a rule, but it becomes white noise after a while. Ever lived near a train track? we lived next a train track when i was a young fella. Every morning a 40-50 bin diesel freight train would come past at about 5 am. Rattled the windows, you could feel it vibrate the walls and floor! The first week i nearly fell out of bed with fright :) but after that, i never woke up.

It is a compressor like your fridge, so it sounds like a small fridge starting. Not freight train stuff, but you might need to turn the telly up a notch or two in the romantic scenes.

Bren
Well I do have a bar fridge in my room and it's quieter than a mouse.. I do occasionally hear the turn on sound and I can handle that.. I really want a quiet one, it will be right next to my bed... Though I can probably turn it off at night.. but I study on my bed gah....

frasertheking

Reaction score
Why not build your own chiller
A second hand beer fridge or small fridge and coil some tubing into it. The hardest part is setting up a switch to turn the thing on above a set temp. Im sure it could be done for £100

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

Minniechild

Reaction score
Im probably wrong but dont heat sinks require metal to be inside the tank? Could you find the plans?

I know that there was a titanium sink, stainless steel pipes as well as some normal piping... I've asked dad for the plans, but (as he just told me), he took a few bits and bobs from other designs. Hopefully in the next day or two he'll be able to put together a proper diagram :D

xxianxx

Reaction score
I know that there was a titanium sink, stainless steel pipes as well as some normal piping... I've asked dad for the plans, but (as he just told me), he took a few bits and bobs from other designs. Hopefully in the next day or two he'll be able to put together a proper diagram :D

That would be very useful thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1