Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Other Axolotl-like Salamanders?

benh

Reaction score
I didn't realise that there were other Axolotl-like Salamanders until today :eek: - that's really interesting!
Just having a quick read on some threads and apparently a number of neotenous Salamanders evolved in different lakes in Mexico; Axolotl's in Lake Xochimilco, Andersons' in Lake Zacapu etc.

I know there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum, so if any one has the time to answer some questions that'd be cool.
I was wondering how many different types of Axolotl-like Salamanders there were? (If I throw Mudpuppies into the equation - is that just confusing things? lol. As you can tell I'm not very knowledgeable on this subject!)
Also, is there a reason why Scientists use the Axolotl, instead of these other species? Do they have any particular qualities unique to them - or were they simply the first aquatic Salamander to be properly researched extensively.

I guess the fact that they became so popular in labs is why I have an Axolotl today, and not one of these other neotenous types?
Thanks in advance! I just find them such a beautiful/fascinating creature and would like to find out all I can :happy:

Lua

Reaction score
Hey you ask some very good questions, hope other members can shed some light! axolotls are used as laboratory animals for a huge variety of reasons, firstly, they are just so easy to breed in captivity. Other species of salamanders need much more specific conditions, but with axies you can pretty much stick them in tubs they will stay alive, even if its not a great quality of life.
The fact that they can regenerate body parts and metamorphose provides also provides endless opportunities for study + medical experiment. l think its very odd to compare the life of a lab axolotl to a pet one-on one hand you can have axies packed nose to tail in cramped tubs, often destined to be dissected/have limbs removed, on the other you have pet owners lavishing their pets with money + attention.But I suppose their popularity as a Iab animal has helped save axies from extinction in the wild+ raised their profile as pretty fascinating beasties!

benh

Reaction score
Yeah, I know from experience that Axies can regenerate - my Colin was missing one of his front legs when I first got him! It's grown back now though :D (if not with an extra digit, lol) I'm guessing however that other neotenous Salamanders would also have this ability? Maybe I'm wrong - but if it is unique to Axolotl's then that's obviously why they're studied so much.

What I meant by Axies in labs causing me to have mine now, is that they must have first been bred, transported etc. not as pets, but as specimens for study. Obviously the different colour morphs make them stand out as pets from other Axie-like species - but again, I'm guessing if these other species had been studied/bred for as long, they would have their own unique colours :happy: Interesting to think about.

I find it really odd/sad that Axies are a critically endangered species in the wild, yet I have one living in my bedroom - just another facet which makes them so fascinating/unique. They're natural environment must have been totally wrecked :( Like you said, they're hardy creatures - I hope that something can be done to maintain a wild population.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1