Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axies acting weird

Bdyoung

Reaction score
Recently I bought a new hide for my axies and since then They've been acting weird. I have a fluorescent light for my tank and I know they don't like a lot of light so I only used it to for taking pictures. And now they seemed to be even more sensitive to the light. Plus they even get scared of my ceiling light which isn't bright at all. And now they are always staying in that hide I bought. It isn't very big. Just about big enough for one but they both lay on top of eachother inside of it all day. They used to usually even nip at each other if they touched but now they are all cramped in a hide and not nipping at all. I just find it odd.

benh

Reaction score
How many hides do you have in your tank? If this is the only one, I think it's pretty normal that they would huddle together under the hide during the day.
From my own experience my Axolotl does the same - during the day he stays in his cave, head poking out slightly. Maybe you could get another hide for them, then they would have the option of staying in different ones?

On the point of being scared when you switch the light on, mine also does this at times - so I have learnt to first switch on my bedside lamp before the main light so as not to startle him. Sometimes it's unavoidable though.
Does your tank have a lid? If it doesn't, or the lid is see-through or a screen-lid, then this might be why they get scared, as there's nothing to block the light coming from above.

Hope some of this helps :D

benh

Reaction score
Hm - have you noticed anything else unusual in their behaviour? Hopefully someone else will be able to suggest something.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
Hi there, I have 3 adult axies and more often than not I find them ALL huddled together in one hide (the hide varies but they're still usually all together). I think they just like each others company.. I have a 4 x 1.5 tank (6 square feet), 5 hides and various plants.. they must just love each other. :)

Not sure about the light thing though, mine are all really good with light. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1