Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How do the Axolotl color genetics work?

Icarez

Reaction score
Hi there axie lovers.

I'm am trying to find an answer to these questions.

I know axies come in different colours (albino / dark / wild / white / golden / piebald)

However, wich mother / father does it take to get a certain colour?

For example, lets say a white male and a wild female produce fertalized eggs.

Are the children just gonna be white or wild again? or is there chance that they will become one of the other colour varients like albino?

I currently have 2 young axies, 1 white and 1 wild, and I just need to know if it is worth breeding with them, if not they should last longer not to breed...

Oh and one more thing on the side, I know how to tell male from female when they are fully grown, is there anyone who can tell this when they are like 2 to 3 months old?

Cheers
Patrick

The Banana

Reaction score
Heya Patrick,
It really depends a lot on the genes on each colouration, etc. Have a quick look at Axolotl.org's Genetic & Colour page MAY help you.
Hopefully a more experienced member in genetics will come along and help you farther. :happy:

As for sexing juvies, unfortunately we have to wait until they are fully mature to sex them.

Icarez

Reaction score
Thanks, I did read that page earlier on, it;s very helpfull indeed.
However, with the hard words I can understand in english, all I can take from that page is that "every" combination is possible as long as the chromosomes switch over enough to create a different mutant.
Ofcourse this could just be the only answer :)

I still really hope I have a male and female, They are both the same age but one is a little bit slimmer and smaller, so i secretly hope that thats the female :p

Should be able to tell for sure when they reach about 6 months in age right?

Cheers

NaterPotater

Reaction score
Wild type is dominant. Any other color was originally a mutation, hence wild type is what they naturally are (were) in the wild. A wild type axolotl can be homozygous for the dominant wild type coloration or heterozygous, carrying the recessive color allele. White, or leucistic, means they are homozygous for the white coloration, referencing the axolotl.org explanation, they are d/d. A wild type can either be D/D or D/d, but either way they will look wild type because the D allele is dominant. If you don't know specific details of your axolotls' parentage, there's no way to know whether your wild type is homozygous (D/D) or heterozygous (D/d). If it's homozygous, all of the babies between it and a leucistic would still be wild type. The wild type would definitely pass on the D, and the leucistic would definitely pass on the d, therefore all of the babies would be wild type, heterozygous carriers of the leucistic d. If the wild type is heterozygous though, D/d, then there's a 50/50 chance it will pass on either the dominant D or the recessive d. The leucistic will still only have a 'd' to pass on. So the babies will be approximately half wild type (D/d) and half leucistic (d/d). So breeding for you would come down to whether one happens to be male and the other female, and if that IS the case, the babies would either be all wild type or about half wild and half leucistic depending on the genetics of the wild. It doesn't matter which is male and which is female.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1