Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cycle issues

Star

Reaction score
I've put this in free for all because it is for my tropical tank and not my axie tank. I bought an 'established' trop tank last week with fish, etc, brought home 60% of the water roughly but everything was filthy, think thick brown sludge... There were 5 filters in there that were all clogged up, it's only a 2ft. Anyhoo, after cleaning it today (not had a chance before now because of work and exams) I ended up doing a 75% ish change because the water after all the scrubbing was vile. Put 40L of clean tap water, added the correct seachem prime dosage and tested the readings as I expected them to be a tad off perfect since the sand had been stirred up. The ammonia was at 1 and the nitrite was darker than 5 so I took all the water out and did a 90% change again. Tested the readings, the ammonia is 0.5 now but the nitrite is still over 5!
Meanwhile my poor fish are sat in a 1ft tank with their temp dropping. I've never had this issue with the axies and I know there are a lot of clued up people here with aquatics so thought this was a good place to ask. I really don't have the time to do another 90% change, let alone more. Is there any quick fix for this? i.e if I add a double or triple dose of seachchem prime to the water, would it help bring my readings down? I don't want to lose my new fish, especially not my three cat fish. I didn't realise the tank would be this bad, it didn't look good but I figured a large change would do the job

aeviette

Reaction score
Eep, not good! Could it be algae? The filter in my tropical tank gets a bit overrun with the stuff. Maybe cut back on feeding for a bit. Are any of your fish algae eaters? I've got otos and never see any algae in the tank any more (just in the filter, annoyingly). Do a couple more big changes over the next few days and see what happens with the levels?

Star

Reaction score
It could be algae since the glass was covered in it. I've put them back in for now and just hoping for the best :( I've got 1 algae eater but he just seems stressed. I gave it a triple dose of prime so will do a change and tests again tomorrow I guess and hope they all survive

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!