Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newbie needing advice

melr70

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Firstly, fantastic forum :D I'm sure I'll be spending way too much time on here.

So...I've been after an axolotl for a while now and the OH has finally agreed :D We have a full house already with three dogs, two tortoises, a hedgehog, tropical fish and a cornsnake,not to mention the children, so twisting his arm took a little time.
The plan is a 3 ft tank for just one axie, although I notice lots of you guys seem to have more than one. So my question is...As I understand it axolotls don't like too much light and it's best to stick with natural. With that in mind I'm wondering how you guys manage to have such fabulous planted tanks? My tropical aquarium is planted but has a bright light on for 12 hrs a day. Recommendations for suitable lighting would be gratefully recieved.
Many thanks,
Mel

iChris

Reaction score
I use only a small LED lamp on my axie tank, if you pick hardy plants that are suited to cooler water and less light, you shouldn't have a problem.

also, you have a pet hedgehog! I'm jelly! please tell me it's named Sonic?

blackdog

Reaction score
use low light plants and experiement with a timer to see how long to leave your lights on.

Make sure the axies have hides - check Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander for set up advice

I have java ferns, java moss, riccia moss, christmas moss, anubia nana, and wysteris in my tank. after a little experimenting i have found having the light on a timer for 2 x 3 hour shifts per day is enough to keep my plants growing well,

Bren

melr70

Reaction score
Thanks guys, and no Chris, her name is Fidget :rofl: Have had a look at some of the LED lights, they come in different colours, would green or blue be better than white?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1