Predicament

fishcakey

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, I bought a zoo med 501 canister filter a while back and I turned it on after moving my tank up 2 floors into a more light area. I turned on the filter and left it on a while but then the baby stopped eating. So, I turned off the filter because I thought the stress of the current maybe was making the axolotl stop eating. Well, he's eating again now with the filter off, and I do daily water changes by the gallon (in my 10 gallon tank) and the water is REALLY murky. It's not clear at all. It has the appearance of almost hot water. Of course the water isn't hot it's 68 degrees, but I'm wondering if there was a way to make the current less stressful. I don't want him to stop eating again because it just stresses me out when they don't eat.

I don't exactly know what to do, it's like if I turn it on he doesn't eat! But if I turn it off he does but the water seems gross! He looks happy though, and is growing every day...

I have the same issue with too much current in my tank. I have a hang-on-the-side filter. Mine would do the frantic swimming all over the place if the current was too much for them. I solved the issue by laying a ruler across the tank and then propping my fish net on the ruler so the net was in the water output. (I know that the description may make no sense, so I attached a picture) I have no current in the tank, my filter is on full blast, and my water is very clear. It just kind of looks ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 97
Aha! That's cute, I think I can do the same thing! I took the spray bar and put it in some pvc pipe so the holes would be covered, so now the current is directed onto the wall of the tank and the axie went to check it out and was like ahh! and went to the other side of the tank and seems fine. Hopefully this works. before it was like a giant waterfall on top, and he likes to float on the top sometimes when he goes up to get some air in his lungs. I'll try to feed him in a while, hopefully his apetite isn't spoiled because of the new change!

If it doesn't work I might need to try the net thing..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back