Question: Red inside

Icarez

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Display Name
Patrick
Hi there,

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but just to know sure.
My white axolotl is almost transparant in body, and I can see his insides very good.
Is it normal that on his left frontside you can see a red dot?
And on it's right backside there's a black area?

Probably just the liver / stomach etc. but just want to know for sure :)

Cheers

Hey there! Yes you are right, it most likely the liver and stomach you can see! I can see it on my little wildtype at the moment. Quite weird and wonderful if you ask me! :D

This link: http://www.axolotl.org/biology.htm shows you a good diagram of their biology!

Last edited:
Thanks, it's defitnaly it's insides :) no internal bleeding or anything :p

Don't worry! The liver(on the right) is a vivid red and can be very visible in light colored axolotls, the heart is on the left, if you look carefully you may be able to see it beating:) Unless you axolotl has been handled roughly/ eaten something sharp recently, it sounds like perfectly normal internal organs to me!

And as far as I know... the blackish spot on their behinds is some poo that needs to get out one day. It's pretty handy so I can see if I can do a water change or wait till they all pooped before I did all for nothing. :p

That is handy :p and I do believe it's phoo, since now the next morning the black spot is much much smaller :) so it probably did it's duty

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back