Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Vacation?

frogman

Reaction score
What do you fellow amphibian keeper's do when you go on a vacation to keep you amphibians alive when you leave for a long time? Please respond soon!

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I over feed them for a few weeks ahead of time and do extensive water changes the day before I leave. I go on vacation every August for 10 days and I have yet to come home to a loss. Salamanders can easily go 2 or 3 weeks without food if they are well fed ahead of time.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. The key to success is to make preparations for a couple of weeks before you go. Extra feedings and extra cleanings ahead of time. If you have a tank where the water level (or anything else) needs frequent tending, find a way to arrange things so that it doesn't need that tending.

frogman

Reaction score
Ok thanks. Any more replies or PM's would be greatly appreciated!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I do the same as the others. Feed well a week or so before you go, a careful clean/ and water change or top up. Any lights that aren't on timers are put on timers. I close all curtains and windows and switch off any thing that may create a heat source. Any juveniles that generally require more frequent feeding are left with a reasonable supply of live food.
When you return, carry out your usual water changes if required. Do a general clean up and resume feeding as you would normally.
How long are you expecting to be away for and what species will be left alone?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a long litany of advice and cautions regarding newt-sitters. Will you be having anyone else care for the animals?

frogman

Reaction score
I have a neighbor that loves to take care of them but she is $20. I could use a more reasonable way and cheaper way. The ones that require the most food are very young dart frogs.

Attachments

• CIMG4204.JPG
    CIMG4204.JPG
    360.9 KB · Views: 485
  • CIMG4164.jpg
    CIMG4164.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 410
  • CIMG4202.JPG
    CIMG4202.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 162
  • CIMG1734.jpg
    CIMG1734.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 415
  • CIMG1501.jpg
    CIMG1501.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 185
  • CIMG1573.jpg
    CIMG1573.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 204

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You didn't answer how long you'll be gone. This makes a lot of difference. Would your neighbor cost less if she only had to take care of the young darts and nothing else?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1