Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newbie needing advice!!

leanne57

Reaction score
Hi all
I have purchased my new 4ft tank today ready for the arrival of my 2 new axolotls. I have already placed the sand in (about 1 inch) and a piece of wood!! Which plants are best to purchase? How long should I let the tank settle before bringing my axies home and whats the ideal temp? Luckily the water hasn't gone cloudy and the filter is now on and working. The tank also came with an air bubble strip would this be ok to leave in the tank? I'm going shopping tomorrow to find things fior them to hide in!
Any other advice that anyone can give me would me much appreciated!! :happy:

Thanks!!!

xxianxx

Reaction score
Hi, was the wood bog wood,or a random piece of wood? if its random you need to lose it . You may want to check out threads for cycling your tank before you get your axolotls, coz the water may not be cloudy now but its had nothing to make it so. Axolotls are cold water 10c-20c is good,the air stone is a matter of personal preferance and if your looking for hides make sure they are aquarium safe. When you want to source your axolotls put an add in the wanted section, you will probably find someone near you who can get you cheap / quality axolotls, the ones in the shops can be v.expensive and rubbish. Good luck.

Last edited:

leanne57

Reaction score
Hi thanks for your reply. The wood is bog
wood. My friend is giving me her 2 axolotls they are nearly 12months old and she doesn't have the space for a bigger tank, hence me buying a 4ft. I will have a look for axie friendly hides. Is there any plants I should keep an eye out for? Thanks again :)

xxianxx

Reaction score
If the bogwood has come from another tank you may need to clean it, as it may be harbouring nasties, unless it was allready in your friends axolotl tank. Im not qualified to tell you how to do this, start a new thread or check out aquarist forums for advice. Sorry dont know much about plants but your on the right site to find out lol

Last edited:

ACEPHONECHIC

Reaction score
Welcome. I find that broken terracotta plant pots make the best hides. You need to make sure that any edges are not sharp, I run a piece of sandpaper over mine. If snapped in half roughly they sit nicely on the bottom of the tank. My gang like to Hide under and wait for me to give them a nice juicy worm. Often a head or tail is showing at the edge of the pot. I use plastic plants because I find my five are quite clumsy and I cannot see nice plants surviving their rough treatment.

leanne57

Reaction score
hi thanks for that as ive been having trouble finding something suitable for them, so a terracotta pot would be easily sourced!! Ive bought a few plastic plants different shapes, sizes and colours and they look really good in the tank so I think you might be right and keep to the plastic plants!! Im going to leave the tank for a few weeks before i put them in to make sure its all ok! i cant wait to get them! I'm even going to attempt to make my own wormery for easy feeding!! thanks for the advice :happy:

scooty16

Reaction score
Hi!

Terracotta pots are a great use of hides. You can snap a terracotta pot in half to make a nice half moon hide. My axie loves it!

As for plants there is a great site that recommends a big list of plants for axies: Axolotl Sanctuary

carsona246

Reaction score
Water wisteria and cabomba work great for me, java moss also works well

layna

Reaction score
Plants i find that work well are;
Marimo moss balls
Elodea
Water soldiers
Mini water lettuce
Normal water lettuce
Anubias (different ypes)
Java (different types)
Hornwort
Moss
I have some others but i cant recall the names :/

Slate works well for hides too, if you find something to prop it/silcone it on (large river rocks maybe) quite striking for tank decor :D

keiko

Reaction score
This is from 2011, they probably don't need this advice anymore and there are tons of similar new threads. :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1