Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Home made Hide

mogs9999

Reaction score
I recently had a piece of wood as a cave in my tank but i couldn't get it to stop making the water cloudy, so i decided to make a new hide for Lottie (thanks to cml for the idea)

1)i got a plastic tub and soaked it for about a week (it would have probably been ok if i didn't do this but better to be safe than sorry)
l.jpg

2)i then coated the tub with aquarium safe silicon and then poured sand on it (the same stuff they use to join the corners of the tank together)
l.jpg

l.jpg

3)the sand i used was too fine so it could not get a decent coating of sand, so i decided to make paste like substance out the silicon and sand, i used 60% sand and 40% silicon to make the paste, i could then press the paste on to the side of the tub(the sand already there helped it stick)
l.jpg

i didnt put the paste on the top as i could just put dry sand on top

4)i stuck some plants and rocks on top and to the side for show
l.jpg

5)i let the silicon dry for 4 days as instructed on the tube, , and then i soaked the hide in water for a further day , before finally puting it in the tank and putting sand on the roof
l.jpg

cml

Reaction score
Its looks awesome! Your axies will definatly love it :eek:!

Aaran

Reaction score
Looking good, the sand layer looks alittle thick, in your tank not your hide :D

Aaran

Reaction score
Dangerous gasses can build up inside, because the sand bed isnt live like in a marine tank it isnt great. Most people advise to 1inch thick at best. Mine is just around this with some parts a little thicker, but i disturb my sand every 3- 4 days :)

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
That looks awesome!!!

Yep I would definitely advise reducing the thickness of the sand. If you were using an undergravel filter, I think it would be fine, but otherwise 1 inch thickness is best. :)

Good work on the hide!

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
Aww that looks really good. My boyfriend had suggested I do the same with some pipe. Now I know how to, thanks :)

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
Does the hide sink ok or do you need those rocks on top to keep it down? (just wondering for myself is all)

cml

Reaction score
Does the hide sink ok or do you need those rocks on top to keep it down? (just wondering for myself is all)
To avoid air getting stuck under the hide its best to drill a hole through the top of the container, to allow the air to escape! This helps alot when submersing as the whole thing will be waterfilled! =)

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
To avoid air getting stuck under the hide its best to drill a hole through the top of the container, to allow the air to escape! This helps alot when submersing as the whole thing will be waterfilled! =)

D'oh of course. I'm an engineer and I can't believe I didn't think of that. I found myself stuff for a good hide the other day but it would have floated...not with a hole though. Silly Dipsy :)

cml

Reaction score
Or you could just put it in on an angle.. even turn upside down, then place it.

But drilling is fun, I won't spoil that. :happy:
You could, but the hide I built is too big for that ;), I would have to remove all other tank decorations to flip it on its side! And that I cant be bothered with unless its the BIG tank clean day ^^.

mogs9999

Reaction score

it sinks by itself , i didnt need to drill a hole to allow air to escape as i just put it in upside down and let it fill and then turned it while in the water,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1