Icarez

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Display Name
Patrick
Hey tehre people,

Could someone shed some light on this..
I came home this evening and I noticed one of the beutifull long gills of one of my axies was trimmed quite a bit..
I think the other axie might have did that, however it's hard to imagine since they have no teeth...

Here is a picture:
2cd8xmq.jpg

You can clearly see that his right gills are shortened very much...

And also, I know axelotl can grow back nearly everything, I hope this counts for their gills to?
(I say gills but I don't know if thats what they are, but I think you guessed I mean the feathery antennas in their neck :))

Cheers

Axoltols do have teeth, just incredibley small, but this does not mean axies cant do harm to each other, its possible your axie is still in canabalistic stage, is it with another axie?

Indeed its gills can grow back, best thing you could do if it is with tank mates and canabalism is the cause of this, is to seperate it via tank divider or a seperate tank until its recovered.

Keep an eye on the water keep it clean and cool :)

Thanks, the water is always clean and cool :) I wonder how long they think their siblings are an appetizer... they are already like 2,5 months old..

I keep 2 in a rather large tank, but 1 is a little bit smaller then the other... I noticed the big one mostly eats first, But the smaller one is more clever since he is the only one who already learned to eat floating food :p the big one just doesn't seem to figure that one out

There like this until they are about a year or a year and a half, I currently have 5, 2 in one 3ft tank, and the other 3 have their own setups until they are the size then they have their own 3ft to drop into :)

Okay I'll keep that in mind :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back