Freckels not her self

crazylady

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
liz :-)
hi i got back of holiday 3 days ago an a friend has been looking after freckels they told me today after i told them of my concerns for her not going to the toilet that whilst i was away they had got her some maggots from the local fishing shop:mad: im not sure if they can have these but either way i think they have made her ill she seems sad an slugish not wanting to watch me on my pc or coming to the front of her tank when i go near it which for her is not nornal instead she is staying at the back of her tank she does float her back end up like she does when she needs to go but nothing happens she has the slight arch to her that she has when she had swalloed some gravel im just woundering if there is anything i can do for her i cant get my fridge to stay above 3c so i know she cant go in there all the water test have been great an her temp is 18c an she has sand in her tank with few plants an a hide am i just worring for nothing could she just be gilt tripping me for not taking her on hols:grin: any help would be great

hi! you can feed axolotls maggots, they love them actually and i think they are quite good nutritionally too, this is a good article on food, they are in the 'excelent' section.

Caudata Culture Articles - Food Items for Captive Caudates

I dont think it was the maggots themselves making your axie sick, but they could have been harbouring deseases. I would say it was unlikley the maggots are the culprite (even though it was wrong of them to feed her something you didn't request), maybe she was kept under poor conditions? I know they are sold as easy matenence pets, but they do need specifics. Constantly clean water, cool temperature, low light, no gravel. Did your friend meet these requirements? If so she more than likley is just constipated, she did have a diet change after all.

i hope she gets better soon, just keep her at 18C and try not to stress her too mutch, i'm sure Freckles will be herself in no time :)

I agree with YellowPebble, sounds like she's just constipated. Keeping her water nice and cool will help her relax and pass any blockages caused by the change in diet.

I'd have words with your friends though, I'd be very upset if anyone changed the care of my axolotls while I was away.

To be on the safe side, check all the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) and perhaps check with your friends if they changed water, whether they used dechlorinated water, or if they changed anything else.

Keep an eye on her and if anything changes or she is still acting strange after a few days then let us know.

Hope you had a nice holiday :)

thank you both im glad the maggots wont of harmed her an im pleased to say she has been to the toilet its been 5 days since she last went an seems alittle happier now she is showing intrest when i go to her tank an isn't to hiding so much nice to her getting back to her normal happy self i kinda think she was gilt tripping me alittle:D i have told me friends off they were so sorry to think they had harmer her as they love her as much as me thank you both again an next time i go away she will be on stricked diet of earth worms :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back