Help With Sand

Melmo

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
I am getting into the aquatic salamander part of the hobby now, and I am planning on making a ~10 gallon tank for 1 Noto or Taricha newt (might change, still researching). I have decided I want a sand bottom, and went to Home Depot to buy some play sand. I bought Kolorscape Washed Play Sand, but when I got home I saw that it had a warning that said not to use it in aquariums. Why is this? Are there any measures I can take to make it useable? What brand sand should I use, and where can I get it? Thanks!

I've read that some play sands can really mess with the pH of the water in your aquarium. I'm not entirely sure about why that is, or if that is the case. But when I was doing research on my aquarium, that's what I read.
I got sand from Petsmart. It was Super Naturals by CaribSea. Two small bags was enough to cover my 10 gallon tank. It's kinda pricey, but it's good sand. I haven't had any problems with it. I test my water every week and hasn't effected the pH in any way.

Supposedly this brand has a lot of aragonite sand in it which can be high in calcium carbonate (if you were to add some of that sand to vinegar, you would notice the sand would start to fizz). This will buffer you water causing an increase in the pH and KH. This brand is also very rough and takes freakin forever to rinse clean.

I use the Quikcrete brand from Lowe's. It's in the outside section next to the bags of gravel.

Thanks for the replies, I'll try the Quickcrete. According to the Caudata Culture article, I need a silica based sand.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back