Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What's your weirdest find while Herping?

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Lets share some wild stories of what you find while herping. People have told me some crazy and random things about finds while herping. Lets share!

My most recent find was today. I found this huge pad of some sort, looks like a women's pad. Honestly I've found some before under the same log. Seems like a woman jogger keeps a stash of pads in the woods for convenience. Its always a shock because it seems like it actually jumps out at you when you lift the log, like a frog or toad puffing up for defense.

Other worthy mentions found under logs

A private diary- Under a fallen tree nicely hidden, I didn't touch it
Left shoe 5 inch heels- Under a wet log, scared me
Mens underwear- In VA herpweek 2011
Dead body- Detroit river

Attachments

• IMG_3530.jpg
    IMG_3530.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 673

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Lets see here....

License plate from 1947, sticking edgewise out of a live tree. (Nebraska)

Pre-European grindstone pits and other tools. (California)

The tip of my own finger, after losing it to a large rock while hunting ruberii.(Pennsylvania)

Molch

Reaction score
ok, I can't beat the dead bodies and chopped body parts, but here goes:

- a wooden leg
- my own wrist watch, still running on time, after losing it at that same spot ca. 2 yrs earlier
- a 50 Mark bill (BIG money for a 12 -year old kid)
- a live peacock (yes, running around the northern German woods).
- a naked couple making out in the tall grass by my favorite pond (I move quietly when herping)

Sarasaurs

Reaction score
OKay, Im from australia and I have absolutly no idea what herping is. I'm guessing its stuff you find while walking? if it isnt then i'll sound alittle weird but hay.
OKay,

Usually Pens, Money, Shoes oh and our town just experienced really bad floods last christmas ( floods never happen) so we are still finding random stuff like pillows, reading glasses, beds, etc along the river bank. its really amazing what you'll find, in a good and bad way....

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Herping is heading out into the wilds looking for reptiles and amphibians. The term is derived from herpetology, the study of reptiles and amphibians. Unless you live in Nebraska, then it is taking a long walkabout hoping to find something other than Thamnophis radix and Rana pipiens.;)

Molch

Reaction score
Unless you live in Nebraska, then it is taking a long walkabout hoping to find something other than Thamnophis radix and Rana pipiens.;)

...or in NW Alaska, where you'd have to bushwhack about 300 miles of tundra and boreal forest before stepping on a lowly wood frog

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
...or in NW Alaska, where you'd have to bushwhack about 300 miles of tundra and boreal forest before stepping on a lowly wood frog

Lowly? I'd say a wood frog is a good sign of some good habitat somewhere close! A sign of good things to come ha. Good luck with the bushwhacking, I hear its a good workout on the arms.

JacksonR

Banned
Reaction score
What kind of psycho keeps pads under a log?lol

Mine aren't very good.
-A 1980's polaroid camera.
-Very old bottles scattered in the woods.
-possibly a distillery.

-two snakes fighting
-an armadillo I captured
-tons of weird animal things...

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
What kind of psycho keeps pads under a log?lol

Mine aren't very good.
-A 1980's polaroid camera.
-Very old bottles scattered in the woods.
-possibly a distillery.

-two snakes fighting
-an armadillo I captured
-tons of weird animal things...

I don't know but there is a certain kind of psycho that does keep pads under logs. Maybe psycho female killers? The salamanders don't seem to mind it. I've found salamanders under the pads before. Still freaks me out.

I love finding vintage things. I've found bottles and bottle caps from the 50's-60's. Thanks for sharing. Wish you had pics!

Sarasaurs

Reaction score
Thanks for explaning, but i dont think we find axolotl and newts while herping in australia. We go bushwalking and find snakes and scorpians and worms. but thats about it....:p

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Thanks for explaning, but i dont think we find axolotl and newts while herping in australia. We go bushwalking and find snakes and scorpians and worms. but thats about it....:p

I'd still consider that herping. When my basement floods and I go looking around for escaped salamanders/newts, I still consider that herping. But nothing beats the woods!

Niels D

Reaction score
Hidden under a rock I found a pile of feces a little bit too late. The fact that my hand was covered in it wasn't enough, because it also looked (and smelled) as if it was man made. Sometimes **it happens I guess...

bichogrilo

Reaction score
I keep on finding peoples pot plantations. Seriously i should start working as a sniffer dog its getting ridiculous! I get really annoyed when some bastard has planted it on my property, thats happened a couple of times.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I've found so much, where to start???

Moonshine distillery
Marijuana farms
A pistol
A flock of peacocks deep inside national forest
Stolen car parked in the middle of the woods
Arrowheads
Various people getting it on

And the kicker...
I flipped a neatly folded sex doll under a rock!

I have yet to find a body but I fully expect to.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
I've found so much, where to start???

Moonshine distillery
Marijuana farms
A pistol
A flock of peacocks deep inside national forest
Stolen car parked in the middle of the woods
Arrowheads
Various people getting it on

And the kicker...
I flipped a neatly folded sex doll under a rock!

I have yet to find a body but I fully expect to.

Justin your the best! The arrowheads sound cool! The "kicker" is too funny. You think it belonged to a hunter?

Molch

Reaction score
You could have used the inflatable doll as a floatation device while catching newts in the pond.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
You could have used the inflatable doll as a floatation device while catching newts in the pond.

LMAO! I was NOT going to put my mouth on that thing to blow it up! :eek: We did however hang it from a tree for everyone to see. I got a pic somewhere I need to dig up...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!