Hello from Maple, Ontario

Subetai

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all, my name is Nick Lambert. I'm a life-long herpetoculture enthusiast, and am currently working at a reptile zoo and education center called Reptilia, in Vaughan, Ontario. I've mostly been a lizard-keeper, and I currently keep a 3.5 foot Argentine black and white tegu (Tupinambis merianae), and a young black-throat monitor (Varanus albigularis ionidesi).

I've always liked salamanders, particularly our native Spotted salamanders (Ambystoma maculatum), but until recently I've never had occasion to keep them, as (and I'm sure many of you are well aware) salamanders can be quite difficult to find. Nevertheless I've recently added into my collection a pair of adult female tiger salamanders (the precise species / subspecies I'm still trying to nail down), and I'm absolutely taken with them. These girls will be the first of many salamanders for me, and I'm hoping to expand into other species and an eventually breeding project.

I'm glad to have access to a community like Caudata.org to share the enthusiasm and maybe a few tips along the way. Hope to see you around.

Regards,

Nick

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back