Help ! how to care for abandonned axolots??

DJudy

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi, I'm new here. My son has suddenly left for Finland and has left me his 2 very large Axolots with NO indications as to how to deal with them. They are lovely creatures and very interesting to look at but they need to be fed and cared for for at least a month and I don't want them to die !! I think they have been fed chicken livers and when I realized what had happened (ie. son left suddenly) I managed to successfully fed each one 3 pieces of liver at room temperature. But where do I go from here?

How often do they need to eat ??
What do I do about water quality ?

I didn't count on having pets like that, that can't move with me (I'm rather active).

Thank you all for you help; they are lovely creatures and I want to do my best for them but I'm lost !
Djudy

They need a 25% water change per week, tap water is ok but you need to use a dechlorinator(if finland adds chlorine to the water or it has other heavy metals).Water quality is one the most important factors in looking after axolotls, poor water quality will kill them, if the water starts to smell or looks cloudy you need to do a water change as it has gone bad.
What does your son usually feed them?They are normally fed on pellets and worms, occasional treats bloodworm/shrimp/pinkies/guppies. Feeding times per week vary from person to person, but three or four times per week is ok.
The temperature should be10c to 20c, there is probably a thermometer attached to the front of the tank.
Contact your son to find out how he normally looks after these guys and give him a slap for leaving you in the lurch.
Check this site for other information, you will find all that is required to keep the axolotls happy and healthy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back