Question: How do i cure my axis gas?

axolotl141

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
michael
in the night my axi normaly floats and in the morning she sometimes still is or has come back up now in the mornings im not sure if it wants to get to the bottom or its the way it tells me its hungry because when i feed it it goes to the bottom so can anyone help?

how old is ur axie and is that profile pic it on gravel?

no its my old axi but i have sand now and it is afew months ive had it

Hey there, does your axies bottom half float up at all? Sometimes axolotls float at the top for air, do have any sort access of air in the tank? What are you water parameters and temp?, and how many times do you water change?

ive been trying to change the water but i havnt got around to it and i have a air pump in it

Do you have a test kit to tell us the levels of ammonia, nitrate and nitrite in the water? A thermometor to tell us the temp?

When was the last time you did a water change and how much did you change?

all i have is a PH test and it is neutral i havnt done a water change since i got it and i think ive only had it for afew weeks apparently the blood worm block says otherwise to my first thought but i am trying to give it a water change and as i have said in some of my other threads im only 13 and i cant do much because of school but i do succeed at feeding it and keeping it happy but i am trying my hardest to get the water changed.

It would be great if you could get a master test kit, it would help a lot.

Can your parents help you with water changes? I made a set time every week to do mine, a time that I'm usually home and try to avoid having other things on a that time.

yeah my mother might help but she was trying to talk me out of getting another axi so she doesnt want to help so i have to do it

It would be great if you could get a master test kit, it would help a lot.

Can your parents help you with water changes? I made a set time every week to do mine, a time that I'm usually home and try to avoid having other things on a that time.

I understand the hassle with running out of time with school but you need to do what mandy says and pick a time to change 20% of the water a week. (Please dont take this as mean or pushy) You should also be cleaning the poop out of the tank every 2-3 days. These animals are extremely sensitive to their envrionment.

Since you don't have a master test kit. You should take a cup of water to your local pet store and get the water parameters from them for free!
- pH?
- Nitrates?
- Nitrites?
- Ammonia?

Please respond to all these questions I have compiled from other comments that need to be anwsered.

- What is the temperature?
- When was the last time you did a water change and how much did you change?
- Do you have a filter in your tank or just the air stone?
- What size is the tank?
- Does your axies bottom half float up at all? Sometimes axolotls float at the top for air and some times their bottom half floats from constipation or sometimes they float in general from impactation (since you have sand this should not be the case).

Thanks, please help us so we can help you!:D

the temp is 18 degrees and it goes down a fair bit in the mornings, and i havnt changed the water since i got it but i am really trying to do it,i have air stones one really long one and one that is a cylinder it is a 14-24 inches,and it floats with its head up and sometimes level and i turned the air amount up abit just to be sure and the ph test says it is nuetral.

As the others have said, you need to change PART of the water every week. There are easy ways to do this, you just need to assemble a few simple items and keep them handy. For example, get a 1-liter container (a used food container from the kitchen would do the trick). Use it to scoop out water into a small bucket. (Be sure the bucket hasn't been used with soaps or chemicals previously.) Dump it, refill the bucket with water, add dechlorinator, and put this clean water into the tank. Once you have the items assembled, this should take all of 5 minutes of your time. It is also important to have some kind of device to remove uneaten food.

As the others have said, you need to change PART of the water every week. There are easy ways to do this, you just need to assemble a few simple items and keep them handy. For example, get a 1-liter container (a used food container from the kitchen would do the trick). Use it to scoop out water into a small bucket. (Be sure the bucket hasn't been used with soaps or chemicals previously.) Dump it, refill the bucket with water, add dechlorinator, and put this clean water into the tank. Once you have the items assembled, this should take all of 5 minutes of your time. It is also important to have some kind of device to remove uneaten food.

You can get a gravel vaccum from your local pet store and be lazy about it like me. I use the gravel pump to drain water into the bucket then just fill it up and syphon the fresh dechloroinated water back into the tank. These also make it very easy to clean up uneaten food and poop left over. Only takes a few minutes!
P48568115919.320x320.jpg

Michael can you please anwser those questions? 18 degress C and how many days has it been since you got them? Feel free to copy and paste as you anwser!!

You should invest in a small filter also. Make sure that its not strong so you dont get the auxies stressed out. I realize you are younger and probably do not have a lot of money but the filter will help with removing debris from the tank. I suggest a 10 gallon filter with an adjustible water flow.

I suggest you do a 20% water change; cleaning the poop while changing the water.
Then take a cup of water to your local pet store and report back to us with the results.

It does not sound like there is anything wrong but not changing the water is going to make them sick. You just have to get in the habit, like putting on the seat belt when getting into the car, they you dont even think about it!

Don't forget those questions please.

Last edited:
It would be great if you could get you water tested. I've been told that high nitrite levels can cause floating.

You'll need to work out a set time every week when you are usually home to do the water changes (mine is at 2pm Saturdays), Once you get into the routine it only takes a few minutes. It takes me about 20 minutes to do all three of my tanks. And your axie will be a lot happier and healthier for it

and i havnt changed the water since i got it but i am really trying to do it,

"Try? There is no "try". There is "Do" or "Do not" - Yoda

Forgive me Star Wars nerds (bigger nerds than me, i probably got the quote wrong, but close enough for illustrating my point to Michael)

A water change only takes a few minutes - get up 10 minutes earlier, go to bed ten minutes earlier - whatever it takes. I know we are busy people these days, even a 13 year old, but Michael - are you busier than the president of the USA? No, you are not. And does the POTUS have the same amount od hours per day that you do? Yes, he does. He is just far more organised than the rest of us (or at least his staff are)

Ok, we dont have the same resources as POTUS, but we can organise ourselves enough to free up 10 minutes for a water change.

Second point - Please answer the questions you have been asked - if you need to get a water test kit etc, then so be it - mow some lawns man! Get some pocket money.

Owning an animal is a responsibility, we can't let things (excuses) get in the way of taking proper care of them.

Now, it might seem i am having a crack at you, i'm not. Think of us as your unreasonable freinds.

We are on your side, but we wont accept excuses for not looking after your axie properly, so when some of the very smart people above have given you good advice and asked really good questions - don't come back with a reason why you can't do it - think of ways that you could do it.

:)

Bren - your unreasonable friend

btw i cant mow lawns im elergic to grass seeds so im not getting that job but i am going to try and do the water today and please tell me what questions i havnt answered

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back