Getting a new Axolotl

mogs9999

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
mogs9999
I already have one Axolotl but would eventually like to get another one, once i get a bigger tank.
when i get another i would like to get a baby, but i wouldnt want to risk putting both Axolotls together until its safe to do so

so my two questions are
1)how big would the smaller Axolotl be before its safe to put them together

2)how big a tank would i need to house 2 Axolotls comfortably

To be on the safe side the smaller axolotl needs to be at least 75% as big as the larger one , two adult axolotls should be kept in a minimum three foot tank, these guys can get to be twelve inches or more.

Ians advice is sound, too much of a size difference isnt good.

How big tanks are supposed to be is a big debate. Most users on these forums think their little critters deserve the very best, me included and opts for bigger tanks, as its easier to maintain and comfy for the lotls. A good general rule of thumb is 10G per axolotl, or 1foot per axolotl, but the bigger the better, its alot easier to maintain good water quality with a bigger volume of water, axolotls let out quite a bit of waste.

I think a 3 foot is a good size of a tank for 2 lotls, but you can do with a smaller one as well. It all comes down to how good you are at maintaining a good cleaning routine etc.

If you get a new axoltol, remember to quarantine him in a separate tank for 30 days to make sure he doesnt transfer any diseases to your standard tank. Keep the new one in the old tank to be on the safe side.

Good luck =)!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back