Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Does this look ok????

melr70

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Few pics of the tank :happy: Picking axies up next weekend :happy: I know it looks a bit bare, am in the process of making some slate hides to go in too, but does it look ok? Anything else I need?
axie tank 057.jpg

axie tank 056.jpg

axie tank 055.jpg

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
The slate hides will be a great addition! I have some in my tank and the axies love them. Just be careful with the glue type you use.. If you use superglue then you are fine to put the hides in the tank the same day, however if you use aquarium-safe silicon glue (like I do) you'll have to wait 7 days till you put them in, so that the glue can 'cure'. :)

melr70

Reaction score
Thank you.
Aimee, It's aquarium silicone. Didn't realise you could use super glue or I'd have used it for more instant results!

GraemeB

Reaction score
Hey, what kind of filter is that, is it the Fluval U2?

theJATM

Reaction score
my old concern is the coconut hide. dont those get fungus on them under water?

melr70

Reaction score
Yes it's a U2. Bit of a current going at the moment, but the tank's empty. Once the axies arrive I'll use the vertical spray bar and turn it towards the side.

theJATM, do they?:confused: I assumed they were ok as the aquatic place I got it from sell them covered in java fern and moss.

Should I take it out?

theJATM

Reaction score
Yes it's a U2. Bit of a current going at the moment, but the tank's empty. Once the axies arrive I'll use the vertical spray bar and turn it towards the side.

theJATM, do they?:confused: I assumed they were ok as the aquatic place I got it from sell them covered in java fern and moss.

Should I take it out?

it might. it always seems that those dont do well under water, at least to me. i always thought they were for dry, reptile set ups myself. they get moldy when they get wet in those set ups. i used 2 for my leopard gecko set up.

it could be just fine. just voicing my concern, but i could be wrong. its happened once or twice before.

melr70

Reaction score
I've googled the coconut hide theJATM and it should be fine in the water. Will def keep an eye on it though :D

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
I've only ever seen the coconut hides used specifically for hermit crab hides.. so I assume they can withstand a certain amount of dampness..

@melr70 yeah I didn't know about the superglue either until about a month ago when I did a plants trade with Blackdog and he mentioned it. :)

theJATM

Reaction score
I've googled the coconut hide theJATM and it should be fine in the water. Will def keep an eye on it though :D

good. i was just concerned. i used them for my geckos before, and if they got wet, they would get moldy. but still, you are probably right, and they will be fine. keep an eye out, and youll be fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1