200+ Axolotl babies from Albino & Wild parents

BoGyesz

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone,

I think this is the best place to document our axolotl story. I have an albino male axolotl and a wild female axolotl, and after living together for more than a year they mated and she "gave birth" to 200+ axolotls.

The parents:

The albino male is pretty big, around 26cm, the female is 24cm and they're living in a 80l aquarium.

The babies are 14 days old, most of them are still in the eggs, but a few have hatched already.

A few pics when they were 10 days old:
10d_1.jpg

10d_2.jpg

We are a bit worried because we don't know what to do with 200+ axolotls, even if only half (?) of them survive, we will have a lot to give away. I asked in the local aquarium shops and they can take a few but not all of them.

I will start a new thread in the give-away forum because they need new homes asap.

You are best to give them away as eggs if you want to send them in the post. Once they've hatched you can only really re-home close to you.

:) Cute babies!

How can I post eggs safely? Is there a tutorial? :) I need a properly sealed container. Is there a regulation in AU about posting live animals?

I read on a thread on here (sorry couldn't find it to link it) that you can post live fish fry (eggs) in the mail, so axie eggs shouldn't be any different..

I got my babies by mail. Sent thursday, received monday and they are now perfectly healthy 4 week old hatchies. :)

I received them in a plastic bag filled with water, inside a container (with loads of paper to stop them moving), then inside a postage bag.

Does that make sense? Try messaging yellowpebble if you need further instructions, she sent me mine :)

Goodluck!

Thanks for the tip but it seems like I don't need to post them. I put an ad on Gumtree last night and this morning I received almost twenty messages. We keep a few and the rest will be gone by Wednesday. They were so popular that I had to queue the "applicants". :eek:

I'll take some!!!! Just ship them in a little water bottle filled to the top, that's how I got my last batch. If they've hatched already its too late though.

They're growing quickly! :) They already have 2 mm front legs. I'm gonna record a video tonight and upload it to my YouTube channel.

That's adorable. I want babies again :D

Today I changed 50% of the tank water and a few hours later 90% of the baby axolotls were dead. :( They were 6 weeks old.
I don't know why this happened. I changed the water in all of my aquariums this afternoon, used the same water and water conditioner.
When I realised that something wrong is going on, some of them were floating on the surface, other were at the bottom, their body in a U shape. Saved a few live ones and put them in the parents' tank, in a safe area. I hope they'll survive. :(

What was the temperature of the new water you put in?
May it have been a few degree's different?
Sorry for your loss :(
I'm not sure what happened to them but the others should be ok, are they swimming/acting normal?

:(

Their tank water was room temperature (18-20°C) and the fresh water too. I often changed 50% water after feeding and it wasn't a problem.
I'm checking the saved ones now but it seems like only one, maybe two are moving....

That;s horrible. :(
Maybe their water got contaminated somehow, maybe something on your hands didn't wash off completely.
Or something in the air like perfume or body spray go into the new water.

Sorry to hear about the other baby's. :( I hope they improve.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back