Paddle-Tail Newt - Questions

munkysnax

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Hi there, I just recently got a paddle tail newt from the fish shop, the guy had them in a tank with gold fish and since thats what I have I thought I'd get one. He said it was perfectly fine to keep it with the gold fish is this true? They seem to just ignore each other. I have a 180ltr tank with 7 fish (4 fantails, 2 ranchu and a black moor) The thing I'm concern about most is feeding him. The fish are very greedy and I'm worried he'll not manage to find any of the blood worm I feed them. I took him out and into a smaller tank just to feed him some blood worm I was that worried. Any advice would be most appreciated

I would strongly encourage you to get a separate tank for the newt. It may be able to survive a few months with the goldfish, but if it is cared for properly, its lifespan should be many many years. Here are the reasons that it would be better off by itself:

• Newts need a land area to climb out on, and tend to prefer somewhat shallower water than what you probably have for a big goldfish tank. (Paddletails can be kept without much of an island area, but it's still important to have something.)
  • Goldfish produce a lot of waste products. If your tank is well cycled and you are doing ample water changes, this problem can be surmounted, but the water quality for the newt will be better without the fish there.
  • What kind of filter does the tank have? It's essential that the tank be totally escape-proof, and this is impossible with some types of filters.
  • Stress. The newt's stress levels will be lower without having the fish around. These newts are quite territorial, and having big fish buzzing around all the time will be stressful.
  • Feeding. You've already noticed that the goldfish tend to grab up all the food. It would be a lot easier to ensure that the newt gets food if the fish weren't there.

This article also summarizes:
Caudata Culture Articles - Fish with Caudates

Thanks for your advice. I still have my smaller tank that the fish were in, maybe I'll set that up for Kevin. If I have him in a tank on his own do I need a filter or anything like that? What about water changes, how often and how much. Also how often should I feed him?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back