Tank size vs Axolotls?

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My tank is 32” long by 18” wide and 18” high (approx. 165 litres or 45 gallons).

At the moment I have 2 ‘baby’ axolotls in it. I was wondering would a third one be ok?

Really the question is would 3 adult axolotls be ok in a tank that size?

Hi there dipsydoodle,

The minimum tank requirement for 1 adult axolotl is 18" long and 12" wide, height should be enough to cover 8" of water.

Your tank would easily fit 3 young ones, however it's the question how large they are going to grow.

If you ask me 3 adults with a length arround 6 to 10" would be okay in your tank i guess.

However the chances are there that they grow between 10 to 14" and in that case I think 2 would be just fine.

It's common that when axies meet eachother a lot in the tank growth will be slowed down and stopped earlier, but this doesn't have to happen for sure.

So when all the pro's and con's are taken into concideration, and we assume they are gonna be nice large adults, I think you should probably just go with 2 axolotl :)

Hope this helped,
Cheers

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back