Ideal set-up for paddle tail newt tank

munkysnax

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Hi there, I've decided after some advice to separate my paddle tail from my fish. I'm going to put him in the smaller tank the fish used to be in. Whats the best way to set up the tank? I've heard some people saying that they should have a wee platform to come out of the water and some people saying as they are fully aquatic they don't really need it. What about filters do I need anything like that in a tank for him and how deep should I have the water and should I have some artificial plants? I have lots of large rocks to create hiding places. Help me please!! :D

They are 100% aquatic so you don´t need to waste any space on creating any land areas. You´ll need a minimum of 40l of water, a filter or at least a powerhead (they like strong currents), several hiding places and cool temps.

Yeaa all one needs is a 10 gallon tank and with hideing spots.Also they need really clean water since they come from river's and rivers are always flowing with new fresh water.Also adding a air pump will help with the oxygen.And they do well if the water has current but they don't need it.good luck

They DO need a current. As a species that inhabits torrents and streams they require a decent current with strong flow of water. With a strong current and provided that temps are low (preferably below 20ºC. You can even go as low as 4-5ºC) oxygen will not be a problem.

Thanks for your help, just one more question. Whats the best thing to use to create a good current? Since the water is going to be relatively shallow my filter wont work in the tank?

Why shallow? Use as much volume for water as you can, the more water the better for you and the newt! The larger the volume the easier to maintain and the more stable.
For the current you just need a powerhead. There are some that are quite small and sufficiently powerful.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back