Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is it necessary to fridge when doing salt baths?

shells

Reaction score
I've just noticed a very small patch of fungus appearing on one of Abrahams gills. His tank parameters are:

PH 7.8 (this has always been quite high and never seems to bother him)
Ammonia 0.00
Nitrite 0.00
Nitrate 1.0

My 4ft tank has a chiller and sits at 17 degrees, he is the only one in the tank.

Abes is other wise happy and hungry :happy:

It is necessary to fridge while giving salt baths? seeing as he is content I do not want to cause undue stress.

Also, what causes gill fungus?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

shells

Reaction score
On further inspection I'm not sure if it's fungus or gills turning white. When I get home this evening I will take him out for a closer inspection prior to treating anything.

IF it is gills turning white, does anyone know the cause of this?

Star

Reaction score
If you aren't sure pics may help if you can get any :) I wasn't sure with one of my little guys so I just kept an eye on him and it did eventually turn out to be a fungus, I just didn't want to stress him with salt baths if it wasn't a fungus. I don't know what the cause is though, I think I read somewhere that it is to do with water quality but that is a little ambiguous to me :) Would be nice to know so we can try prevent it :D

shells

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's replies, between me a qtip and Abraham we managed to get rid of what ever it was! I think it may have been the start of a fungus, or it could just been some grains of sand... I guess we'll never know!

Star

Reaction score
If it was the start of fungus you'll know :p I wish the same could be said for my poor baby! She's still sat in the fridge with another salt bath due soon :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1