Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is Mervin Sick :/ only got him on the 13/8/11

ChristopherLeeH

Reaction score
Hey Guys, i have previously owned a mexican walking fish a year ago. but had no idea how to look after it. i have given it another go Now and i think it might be sick.

I brought the tank a couple of months before hand. Put some gold fish in it on the 12/8 they died. (Stress)

Cleaned tank then put stabilty (seachem) in that night. then added Mervin. Now mervin has white spots on his/her tail. and is poping thier head out of water from time ot time..? PLEASE HELP ME. i dont want him to die :/

http://**************/photo/my-images/193/dscn1005q.jpg/
http://**************/photo/my-images/683/dscn0991p.jpg/
http://**************/photo/my-images/594/dscn1024q.jpg/
http://**************/photo/my-images/269/dscn0993w.jpg/
http://**************/photo/my-images/195/dscn0990v.jpg/

If they don't work its hosted on imageshack dot us
Picture One
Two
Three
Four
FIve

ChristopherLeeH

Reaction score
DSCN1005.jpg

if images above dont work.

axigeek

Reaction score
None of the pics work, except the last one and I cant see anything wrong. Try signing up with photobucket.com, it's very good for putting pics on. Otherwise, as Shells said, what is your water in your tank like? Have you tested it?

I'd be worried if I put gold fish in it first and they died from stress. You said ur axi is popping up to the surface, sometimes they will do that, but mostly its for air, so, do you have an air stone? Could you take more pics pls?

ChristopherLeeH

Reaction score
Hey , I don't have an air stone. that's a air filter yes the one that blows up bubbles? i m buying one tomorrow.

i have not tested my water as i do not know how to.
Tonight ihave taken out all my Fake plants and Assessors for the tank. i left in his cave and filter & heater.

Although is it bad if i have large stones as the flooring.?
and is the tale of merv supposed to have a tail with white pale blocthess.

??

ChristopherLeeH

Reaction score
Hey , I don't have an air stone. that's a air filter yes the one that blows up bubbles? i m buying one tomorrow.

i have not tested my water as i do not know how to.
Tonight ihave taken out all my Fake plants and Assessors for the tank. i left in his cave and filter & heater.

Although is it bad if i have large stones as the flooring.?
and is the tale of merv supposed to have a tail with white pale blocthess.

??

ALSO.
The reason why my goldy's died is because they were in the fish bag when my little brother knocked them off the table.

im just very worried about my Axi. Im attached after 3 days. and i called the vet and they say it COULD be fungi.?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDqI34lHqlM

YOUTUBE ABOVE OF MERV IN HD, are the rocks okay for him or should i get sand?

http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums/z348/ChristopherLeeH/
photo bucket i am uploading more now..

Last edited:

Jennistophales

Reaction score
The spots just look like pigment to me. If you look at the genetics and color page on axolotl.org, you can see an example of a golden albino with the white spots on the tail. Nothing to be worried about.

Beautiful monster, by the way. :eek:

Star

Reaction score
This is one of the little guys I recently rehomed. The shiny markings are iridophores, nothing to be alarmed about, they just help make the little monsters look more beautiful :) You should definitely have a good look on Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander though, it tells you all you need to know about keeping axies and anything you aren't sure about ask on the forums and someone should be able to answer :)

Attachments

• PICT0783.jpg
    PICT0783.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 184

pookiewn

Reaction score
You said you have a heater in his tank, axies like it cold (18-22) so you could take that out :) Lovely looking axie :)

ChristopherLeeH

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Thank you so much for your help. I thought the rocks were a bit to small as i have been reading ALOT on the forum that axi's are eating rocks :/

With my tank water how high should the water be? should i have it high enough for the axi to be able to sit on his cave with it's head out. ?

• I Am Feeding it Blood Worms? & Feeder Fish.
    Not by hand (Only Just Found out it's better to feed by hand)
  • Mervin is only active When the lights are out.
  • Mervin likes sitting under the filter?
    dose this mean he's scared of the current?

blackdog

Reaction score
Christopher, in one of the posts above you were advise to go read a website - Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander

That site has all the accurate info you will need to start looking after an axie properly.

Please go read it first, then perhaps come back for any clarification you need.

Maybe it is just me, but i can't really understand why someone would by an animal, then do the research on how to look after it? Anyways, you are at the right place, but go do some homework then come back to us to fine tune what you learned.

It also sounds like you don't know much about the nitrogen cycle? If you do, thats great, if you dont know what the nitrogen cycle is then google it and use the search function here in this forum, there are a few great posts about it and how to manage it.

Bren

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
This is one of the little guys I recently rehomed. The shiny markings are iridophores, nothing to be alarmed about, they just help make the little monsters look more beautiful :) You should definitely have a good look on Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander though, it tells you all you need to know about keeping axies and anything you aren't sure about ask on the forums and someone should be able to answer :)
Oh my goodness Star... he's a cutie... wish he had been rehomed to me :D

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
Definitely take the heater out ASAP! The colder you can get your tank, the better! Axies like anything from 16 to 22 but can survive as low as 8 degrees, and get stressed out above 24 degrees.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1