Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Sideways and floating axolotl!

Harley752

Reaction score
I've had my axolotl for about 6 months now. When I got him everything was fine but just recently he has been floating at the top of his water almost completely on his side. Why is he doing this?? He's eating just fine and his water temp. is at 20C. After i change his water for a day or two he will return to normal and not float or be sideways but then he will go back to doing it. I have no idea what is going on, is something wrong? How can I fix or help him?
Thanks!!

(I've attached a photo of him, sorry the pic. is sideways!)

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 958

Icarez

Reaction score
Get some sand in that tank, his feet will not be able to grab the glass bottom.
After that install some living plants to ensure healthy water.
And finally give him some hiding space like a cave.

also if your not using a filter make sure you change the water regulary

Floating at the top means the water is not in a pretty condition in fish terms

So make it somewhat more comfy for your axie :) and he will be fine

Cheers

zoezakella

Reaction score
I've had my axolotl for about 6 months now. When I got him everything was fine but just recently he has been floating at the top of his water almost completely on his side. Why is he doing this?? He's eating just fine and his water temp. is at 20C. After i change his water for a day or two he will return to normal and not float or be sideways but then he will go back to doing it. I have no idea what is going on, is something wrong? How can I fix or help him?
Thanks!!

Poor axie :( I agree with patrick about the plants and hide your tank looks very bare and must be quite boring for your axie! Axies need places to hide / explore it is the equivelent of you being in a small square room with nothing in but air.

Can I ask how big your axie is and what size is the tank please??

Also what are your water parameters please as it certainly seems like a water issue here. How is your axies eating / pooing and what do you feed him on?

Sorry for the negatives but hope you realise I am just trying to help you and your axie :happy:

theJATM

Reaction score
my axie has been floating alot too. its eating well, the water is good, and it appears fine. it just floats at the top. im somewhat worried, but it seems to be in perfect health. it can and does chill at the bottom alot, so its not struggling to stay down. it just appears to like it up there. the other one stays at the bottom for the most part (though as i say this, hes swimming some too.) i also have a hollowed out fake floating log he likes to chill in as a hide too. it has some java moss in there (that im trying to get to come out the ends of the log, to drape down.)

hdonahue

Reaction score
Thanks!!

I would also like to know the size of your tank and the length of you auxie.

I also believe that your water parameters need checking. (I believe this because you say he goes back down after a water change)
Is your tank cycled? If you believe it is, it sounds like your cycle has collapsed and needs to be redone. (Having this problem myself :mad:)

If you have a master test kit and can relay the info on here that would be much appreciated. If you have no test kit take a water sample to a local petstore and have them test it for you.
pH -
Ammonia -
Nitrates -
Nitrites -

hdonahue

Reaction score
my axie has been floating alot too. its eating well, the water is good, and it appears fine. it just floats at the top. im somewhat worried, but it seems to be in perfect health. it can and does chill at the bottom alot, so its not struggling to stay down. it just appears to like it up there. the other one stays at the bottom for the most part (though as i say this, hes swimming some too.) i also have a hollowed out fake floating log he likes to chill in as a hide too. it has some java moss in there (that im trying to get to come out the ends of the log, to drape down.)

I'm a bit worried about the " the water is good, and it appears fine." Can you relay the exact measurements to us?
My auxie swims a lot and stays toward the top when there is a water problem.

zoezakella

Reaction score
Thanks!!

Harley752, you have asked for our help and have had many replies but yet you have not responded to any of us???

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1