Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Consitpated and Side floating Axolotls - Help!

RebeccaStella

Reaction score
Hi, We have 2 baby axolotls about 4 months old one Leucistic and one wild type.

Recently our wild type (Stimpy) developed a significant bend at the start of his tail and swelling, after researching on here we discovered he was probably constipated so put him in the fridge where he's been for nearly a week and is gradually getting better. (I have attached a picture of him from a few days ago to show what I mean.)

However today we grew concerned for our Leucistic (Ren) as he has not been able to stop floating and has been floating on his side and back and also appears to have a bump/swelling and has stopped eating. He is now in the fridge too.

We are wondering what we are doing wrong really? We de-chlorinate the water. We change 50% of the water and clean the barrel and stones and glass weekly. Our sand is about 1mm wide.

Should buy a water testing kit, and if so what are we looking for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :happy:

Attachments

• IMG_20110813_225347[1] (2).jpg
    IMG_20110813_225347[1] (2).jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 292

fishcakey

Reaction score
A water test kit would be good. Try the API Freshwater Master Test Kit, very accurate. It almost sounds like impaction. Do you have anything in the tank that the axolotls could fit in their mouths like pebbles etc? We'd need pics of your tank and the bumps on the leucistic to tell what is wrong.

RebeccaStella

Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for your answer!

There's nothing in the tank that's small enough for them to get in their mouths besides the 1mm sand. I did wonder whether the sand could have blocked them up with them being so small?

I'll try and get a picture of Ren put on later, and I'll buy a water testing kit.

Thanks again!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1