Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

N.Kaiseri eggs?

Red Eft14

Reaction score
Since I'am planning to keep and breed N.Kaiseri I would like to know how many eggs they deposit?And would a 10 gallon or 15 gallon be good for breeding them. I know,I know the bigger the better. But like can they breed in a 10 gallon or do they need a bigger tank like a 15 gallon. Got most of my info here...Caudata Culture Species Entry - Neurergus kaiseri and I also read some threads that other people posted about N.Kaiseri.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Since I'am planning to keep and breed N.Kaiseri I would like to know how many eggs they deposit?And would a 10 gallon or 15 gallon be good for breeding them. I know,I know the bigger the better. But like can they breed in a 10 gallon or do they need a bigger tank like a 15 gallon. Got most of my info here...Caudata Culture Species Entry - Neurergus kaiseri and I also read some threads that other people posted about N.Kaiseri.

I'd say a full grown female can deposit 80-100 eggs. Thats just from my 1st hand experience. I'm sure they can lay a little less and a bit more but that was the range from my females. There are many factors to consider like, how well feed they were all year round. How long the cooling period was, did the newt suffer any ailments and things of that sort.

The more room the better. For 3 adults a 15 gallon will do the job but a 20 gallon sounds better. N. kaiseri are frenzy feeders even as adults you don't want to risk injury. Make sure whatever tank you choose to get a lid. Screen lids work well but glass screens are even better. N. kaiseri are masters of scaling glass walls and they're good at squeeze through tight gaps and openings. Good luck!

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I experience clutch sizes from 70-140. I utilize ten gallon tanks for breeding only as this makes egg collection easier. I find that they prefer a substrate of 50 cent piece sized polished river rock for breediung and egg laying.

The adults are oophagic, meaning they will eat eggs, so it is wise to remove the male as soon as egg depositing begins. Once complete, remove the female. (I see egg laying lasting 3-9 days.) I observed egg-eating primarily from females that didn't lay the clutch. (I theorize this is a type of reproductive interference, but my observations need a few more years of study to pan out.)

I carefully harvest eggs and rear them in groups of 35-50 in plastic tubs, increasing the size and water volume of the tub as they grow. Once they get near morphing, they are moved to ten gallon tanks with cloth mesh tops as kaiseri juveniles are excellent climbers and escape artists.

For housing I keep males separate from females, 3 per 40 gallon tank. These tanks are minimalist, consisting of many rock hides both above and below the water line, arranged in such a way to easily control the water level seasonally.

Red Eft14

Reaction score
I'd say a full grown female can deposit 80-100 eggs. Thats just from my 1st hand experience. I'm sure they can lay a little less and a bit more but that was the range from my females. There are many factors to consider like, how well feed they were all year round. How long the cooling period was, did the newt suffer any ailments and things of that sort.

The more room the better. For 3 adults a 15 gallon will do the job but a 20 gallon sounds better. N. kaiseri are frenzy feeders even as adults you don't want to risk injury. Make sure whatever tank you choose to get a lid. Screen lids work well but glass screens are even better. N. kaiseri are masters of scaling glass walls and they're good at squeeze through tight gaps and openings. Good luck!

That's good.And I'am guesing that they babies can't be in the tank with the adults.And yeaa depending on the room that I have I think a 15 gallon is most likely my only option.Even though the glass canopy sounds safer its more money but then agian I work in a petstore and get stuff 50% off lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1