Photo: Red dot on larvae head, possible colour mutant??

helobed

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Ollie
Well its pretty much like it says in the title, one of my day old larvae has the weirdest red dot on the top of his/her head.( and yes, it is the top of the head, I'm not mistaking the heart or something.) it's the strangest thing, bright red (more so than their little hearts) and squarely placed right on 'the neck.'

The camera quality isn't that great, its actually a lot more red, but the little axie is very small.

If it's permanent I might see if its genetic :D

At the moment im calling him/her "lil red"

what do you all think, blood clot, different xanthrophore differentiation pathway????

Last edited:
Cool, it will be interesting seeing if this comes to anything as it grows bigger. keep putting photos on as it grows.

I cant seem to find him/her anymore!!! Maybe it went away, or was lethal ( although I haven't found any dead ones,) although during my search I did find something very interesting... All indications point towards a chimera, half of the head white half of the head black. He is a runt and a little small, but I am giving him special attention:D I'll start a new post on his development, and if I find red again I'll post some more pics of her/him

I've found red again,
He/she seems to be paler than the others and the spot has turned into more of a stripe down the head. I will post updated pictures when my camera's charged!

Ahh!! Camera, internet, phone, stairs... technology doesn't like me very much!

Here are the pics

there's just one problem, I don't think he's eaten anything yet. I can see black stuff in the other's tummies but not his. Worried.

Last edited:
What happened to him? Because this morning i found a little albino with a red dot in the very centre of the top of his head.. but he swimming funny and then 2 hours later he was dead ='[

he survived until he got his front arms, but then started swiming funny and died :( whatever this thing is, considering your experiences also i don't think it's very good for them :(

My husband thought it might of been a brain bleed or something like cancer. :confused:
Well if it was, they are at peace now. :angel:

I know this post is old, but I had to leave my young (A month old?) axolotl for a day while on a camping trip. When I came back, he was dead and had a large red spot on top of his head. If anyone sees this and has answers, please share.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back