Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding Pellets

Mandy6

Reaction score
I finally found some Axolotl pellets, which for me was great because I'm having no luck finding any worms at the moment. Anyway. My problem is how to get Alex to eat them. I normally hand feed and he wont look for food in the tank. I drop the pellets in front of him but he ignores them. He will try to take them from my hand but ends up biting me and having the pellets all over the floor of the tank. So, any tips on feeding these to him?

These are the ones I have Aqua Master Axolotl Food 150g

iChris

Reaction score
I have those same pellets.

the only way I can get my lot to eat them is buy putting them in the lid of a pringles tin and putting my finger behind the pellets, on the other side of the clear lid.

it tricks them into thinking they are snapping at my finger, but they inhale the pellets instead!

The Banana

Reaction score
I have the same pellets.
My axies are not fussy at all, they eat whatever I give them. Guess it's my persuading power. :p

You could try wiggling your finger to get the attention (watch your finger though!), then drop the pellet, aiming for it to land on the nose.
'Lotls seem to have a see-movement-snap reflex, might work.

Mandy6

Reaction score
I've tried wriggling my fingers and then dropping it, or dropping it above his head. But he just grabs my fingers. Though I did drop one and it landed on his head and he just walked around with it on his head :lol: I will try the lid thing though!

helobed

Reaction score
the way i trained mine (I feed them in separate containers, but doesn't really matter) was to make a pile of pellets somewhere and then get a bamboo cooking skewer (with the sharp bit blunt or cut off!!) and wriggle that around their heads, get them to follow it to the pile, then move the pile around. They go for the stick and get the food. After a while mine put 2 and 2 together and didn't even need the stick anymore.

hope that helps
Ollie

Mandy6

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I finally got him to eat some. I wriggled my fingers above the surface of the water so he thought there was a worm coming in and when he got into position to snap I dropped the pellet and he went for it. Once he worked out these little things I was dropping were actually food he was all into it :D

blackdog

Reaction score
I used to feed them by hand, but i found they are just as happy to snapp them up off the floor, so i just drop them in.

B

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1