Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What's your favorite type of newt/salamander

desertiguana

Reaction score
I am not even going to try to make a poll on this. There would be an endless list off types of newts and salamanders. Just wondering other peoples' favorite types of salamander. Mines the oregon ensatina.::dizzy:

Red Eft14

Reaction score
Out of the caudata that I'am planning to get in the future(Fire salamander,N.Kaiseri,T,shanjing) it would probablyhave to be the kaiseri

Salamanderfire

Reaction score
AW: What's your favorite type of newt/salamander

Hi,

My favourite newt/salamander is the fire salamander (Salamandra salamandra terrestris) because I love the high contrast and variability of the colour patterns.

And maybe it's also because I read all those "Lurchi" comics ( Lurchi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) when I was a child. :D
As a child I usually was not interested in buying new shoes but if my parents said "maybe there is a new Lurchi booklet at the shoe shop", I happily went with them.
This cover of an issue from 1964 shows Lurchi and his friends: http://www.lurchi.de/fileadmin/user_upload/lurchihefte_bilder/250/30-Erntezeit.jpg

But of course other salamanders and newts are very interesting and nice, too.

Peter

Molch

Reaction score
Re: AW: What's your favorite type of newt/salamander

And maybe it's also because I read all those "Lurchi" comics ( Lurchi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) when I was a child. :D
Peter

OMG, I can't believe someone else remembers Lurchi.

I grew up in Germany and I remember getting VERY excited when we went to buy shoes, as long as we went to the Lurchi store. They had a giant plastic Lurchi in the store - I didn't give a newt's belly button about the shoes; my Mom and the attendant took care I got the right ones - but I would have been mortally disappointed if I had to leave the store without at least some kind of Lurchi article, be it a comic book or a little rubber Lurchi..

for those uninitiated, "Lurch" is a somewhat old-fashioned German word for amphibians. Lurchi is a clever little fire salamander who knows all about shoes. The shoe company is called "Salamander", that's why ;)

Molch

Reaction score
Re: AW: What's your favorite type of newt/salamander

I must say though, I liked the classic Lurchi better, the one that didn't wear any clothes and looked more natural, except "of course had no visible reproductive organs", according to the Wikipedia site (do salamanders ever? Never mind...).

This new, clothed Lurchi looks a bit too domesticated for me...

Last edited:

methodik

Reaction score
Even I do know Lurchi and I am not even that old ;)

as to the topic, I find it hard to answer - the species are just too different, its like asking "what's your favourite food" when there's chicken or pudding or soup or pizza etc.
I am still in love with the Cynops family - my first newts and the ones I find the most beautiful - but as to the behaviour, I'd choose the tiger sals, those fat, always hungry beasts :)
Other newts, as the Neurergus, are complete beauties on their own...but in the end, my vote goes to Cynops / Hypselotriton I guess. Dont know which sp. :D

ahritchie

Reaction score
For salamanders, it's hands down Fire Salamander for me....they are so visually striking and quite "personable" for an amphibian....mine come up an beg like dogs for a worm if I get close to their tank.:D

For newts, I must say Spanish ribbed newts have stolen my heart as my favorites...they aren't the prettiest, but they more than make up for it in high activity level, personality, and ease of keeping. Just throw in some salmon pellets and watch the action unfold! Oh yea and they procreate like crazy!

desertiguana

Reaction score
It was a hard question. But it is always interesting to see the different results. What I'm suprised in is that the word axolotl hasn't popped up yet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1