Illness/Sickness: Why is he trying to escape!?!

lray

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I had my 2 axolotls in a container in my kitchen until their tank had cycled. My tank has cycled and there is no amonia in it at all. PH is a little high but i have been told that is not an issue if there are no amonia readings.
Anyway, i put them both back in their tank a few hours ago and one of them is trying to climb out! It climbs onto the filterbox and is completely out of the water. Why?? He has all his gills and shows no signs of morphing. Is he ok? is the water herting him?? :confused:

I had my 2 axolotls in a container in my kitchen until their tank had cycled. My tank has cycled and there is no amonia in it at all. PH is a little high but i have been told that is not an issue if there are no amonia readings.
Anyway, i put them both back in their tank a few hours ago and one of them is trying to climb out! It climbs onto the filterbox and is completely out of the water. Why?? He has all his gills and shows no signs of morphing. Is he ok? is the water herting him?? :confused:

Seems like something is wrong an axolotl wouldn't frantically try to escape for no reason. At the same time observe the other tank mate. If the other tank mate is calm and unbothered it my just be a individual problem. It could be stressed from the transitioning. How long were they in containers? How big were the containers? Keeping axolotls in close quarters with one another is bad physically and mentally.

What are the other readings at? Have you tested for Nitrate and Nitrite? Is the temp too high?
It might be a good idea to put them in covered containers with cool dechlorinated water so they don't suffer any more.
He doesn't sound happy, unfortunately a newbie myself so can't offer help, but I'm sure someone with advise will come along soon.

Check those nitrite readings, that's the next step of the nitrogen cycle, and for fish gasping at the surface is one symptom of nitrite poisoning.

ok, i'll answer all the above. The tank water was dechlorinated from the moment go. I always have a desent supply of that stuff in the house. The other axie hasn't been trying to franticly escape, but he is very quiet and has an arched back. But he's at the bottom of the tank keeping quiet.
I havent tested the nitrate ( i havent the kit for that just yet) but the 3 little gold fish in there before the axies were very happy and doing fishy things and looked extra healthy and happy. No gulping.
The temp is about 18 degreees C. Its been this temp ever since i got the axies and i made sure the temp was equil before putting them back in there. And i also slowly mixed the water in with the tub water over the space of an hour so not to shock them when they went into the tank.
When they were in the tub, they were in there together. It was a 5 litre tub about 35cm x 35cm. They have always shown affection (not aggression) for each other, so i didn 't want to split them up.
Do you think it might just be stress from the move?? I would of thought the nice clean tank water would pick them up rather than the constant water changes from the tub.
I didn't know if i should do a bit of a water change, or just leave them be. I have 3 live plants in the tank that were not there b4, but i wouldn't of thought a live plant would cause an issue for them?

its nitrite that you need to be worried about, not nitrate. The live plants are not the issue at all. Get a nitrite test kit, and post the results.

will do. If the Nitrite is high, then what happens? Is this somethining that the tank will correct in time, or will it mean more chemicals to adjust these levels?

righto! I did the 4 tests. they are as follows...

Nitrite = 0ppm
Nitrate= 5.0ppm
PH= 7.6ppm
Amonia= 0.25ppm

The amonia was Zero yesterday. So from the above, should a 20% water change or so with dechlorinated water fix it up?
Also, are these the readings of a cycled tank just needing a water change or do i have bigger problems?

You're getting nitrate, so your tank should be at least 90% cycled. I'd do a 20% waterchange just incase. Is your axolotls still trying to escape?
You said more chemicals to adjust the levels. Are you currently putting any chemicals in the fish tank to adjust anything?

thats awesome news! :) no no, i havent used any chemicals to adjust these levels. The only chemical i have used is the de-chlorinator. They have calmed right down. I have kept the light off in the tank so they can just relax and have no need to hide away. They wont eat still, and they are both floating on the top of the water with their backs arched. But no irratic behaviour. I did a little more than a 20% change tonight, it was 30%.
So what happens now? Do i do my tests again tomorrow or leave it for a couple of days? With the readings i gave you above, are these safe readings for my axolotls? I find it odd that the water is of good quality but they seem so miserable. They are skinny and i want them to look like the fat ones i see on this site.

....just adding to my last comment, one of the axolotls has eaten a tiny peice of meat today. But the other one is just not interested. His eyes look quite cloudy and protrusive. Like a boggle eye look. Am i going to lose him? :(

...just adding, i did the 30% water change 24 hours ago and have just done the tests again. All four readings are identical to yesterday. Another water change or just leave it be? Both axies just ate a big peice of meat each too :)

If the water parameters are good, then they should be alright. just try to make sure the currents not too strong, and everything else is axie friendly. If there's more .5 ppm's of ammonia, then I'd do a waterchange, if it's under .5 ppm's just leave it. You're aiming for 0 ammonia/nitrite and under 40 ppm's of nitrate. They're probably just getting used to the new tank, as most things take a few days to get adjusted.

brilliant :) I wont worry about them so much. Thanks for all your advice. Fingers crossed they pick up a little and start enjoying their nice, clean home :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back