Illness/Sickness: Very active?

CarltonRoxursox

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
CarltonRoxursox
My axolotl has been very active over the past couple of hours, no changes have been made to the tank and it has never been like this before. It keeps swimming really fast into the glass, and rolls around. Is this normal?

Have you checked the water parameters? He might just be in an active mood, but whenever my axolotl's act abnormally I make sure the there's nothing funky with the water parameters

my axolotls were super active for over a week. i couldnt figure out why. then someone said it might be the higher temps leading to less oxygen in the water so they swim to get water moving through their gills i was using a fan and frozen milk jugs to cool the water. didnt really calm them much. i gave them more hides and blocked out part of the tank to give them a lot less light. and i put a bigger pump in for the sponge filter. they have been super calm for 3 weeks now. if i had to guess, it would be the increased amount of air going in the water try that

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back