Hello all I have a few questions :)

Kenneth

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kenneth
We recently got our first axolotl, she is about a year and a half old, she is about 6 inches I would say. We've had her for 2 weeks and everything seems to be going fine, but I have a few questions to be extra safe...

1.) Can you feed your axie any frozen shrimp? Can i go to the store and use that in the freezer (cut-up)? Or just Brine....

2.) The tank is about 67 F..I have an air conditioner window unit and a fan blowing across the top...I have heard that movement creates stress...the water on the surface moves and some plants I see in there are wiggling around, but not too fiercely..is this ok? Or is it actual current that creates stress?

3.) How often do they eat exactly? Year olds, that is. Every other day I give her two red wrigglers (not cut up as axies hate that smell), and one earthworm...is this enough? I have frozen brine shrimp (in flat block form which I have yet to give her) and Beef Heart Cubes which I gave her one once and she loved it.

And how could I forget my most important question: I live in a dorm near Chicago, IL...I must go home for winter break, and down by my home I am certain the water is not Lake Michigan water, I believe it is well water...is this drastic change ok??? I was thinking of bringing many gallons of the water up here to mix with that to be safe...and yes I treat it with de-chlorinator whenever i put more in, and detoxifiers occasionally when needed

1. Depends, I'm not sure what kind are ok or not, but worms are the best diet you could give her
2. its current that stresses them out. Ripples from the fan aren't going to cause any trouble. If you axolotl is showing signs of stress(gills curled forwards) the current may be too strong, but it could also be a variety of factors.
3. Year olds can probably do with one worm being fed to them 3 or 4 times a week. Your shooting for their stomache to be as wide as their head.
4. I go to college in Arkansas, and when i bring my axies home to texas the water's pretty different there. (ph wise, and they add chloramines) Just make sure to acclimate them very slowly and they should be fine. There's really no need to bring all the extra water.

Thanks a lot thats some very helpful info :D, how do you suggest I acclamate her slowly? Mix some of my current water with the new kind? And you mentioned the pH difference in your situation, do you use pH ups or downs? Or are those too stressful as they can adjust themselves (I read).

And I've seen you post here a lot so I value your input and trust it. I think I remember seeing you having a fan pointed directly into it, mine is just at an angle nearby so it should be fine

don't use any chemicals to alter the ph. It will cause the ph to fluctuate rapidly, which is much more stressful than a low/high ph. To slowly acclimate her, float the container she's in(bag/tupperware) in the new tank water, and allow the temperature of the container she's in to reach the same temp as the new water. After about 10 minutes or so slowly dip a little water into the container, and do this for an hour or so to get her used to the new water slowly. After an hour of slowly adding new water to the container it is probably safe to introduce her to the new tank.

Thanks for the tips :) ...one more question, I've looked on other people's questions about floating and she seems to do just that...she doesn't have trouble staying down, though, I don't believe...she just likes the top and staying near some plants that are higher up, is this ok?

as long as she doesn't have a problem going to the bottom I don't think it's a problem. However, I'd check your water parameters just to be sure if your worried about it.

Ok ill keep an eye on those, thanks Carson...and as far as the move goes in the future will it mess up my biological filter?

possibly, but it's avoidable. Keep your biological media as wet as possible during the move. For instance when I move mine for winter break i usually stick a sponge filter in their tank, and keep that in a ziplock bag full of dirty tank water for the move. I then just throw the sponge filter in the temporary tank while I visit my parents. If you're moving their regular filter, depending on what you're using it should be fairly easy to keep whatever holds the beneficial bacteria wet. you may have a little bb die off(substrate and tank objects usually have a little bb), but it should be alright.

Ah, those are some great suggestions, thanks. I wanna be prepared. I have a 10 gallon tank with just her in it, and was going to upgrade to a 20 gallon tank soon and maybe get her a friend, but maybe not til after the move to be safe. I don't have a filter right now I am planning on getting one very soon, I've been changing the water daily or every other day, so for a filter: get a low current one basically and not too powerful, I will also probably get a bubbler

Also I don't know if you've heard anything about this, but there apparently is Radium in the water down where I live...I don't believe there is any up here at college...I'm starting to think bringing a bunch of gallons of water from up here is seeming like a good idea lol :S

I am new to these guys as well. But have learnt if you have a tank with small gravel hand feeding is the only way to go.

Hey Chook fellow new owner lol...thanks for your input, but what in the name of the Lord does that have to do with anything hahahaha. I just saw it as random, and yeah I use sand as a substrate

Sorry you thought it was random.I recently converted a tropical 4' aquarium into a home for my new Axos. I made the mistake of leaving gravel, so that I had a place for plants to be anchored. So now I have to hand feed. Today each of my Axos ate 4 earthworms and 2 pieces of rump steak.

Last edited:
Nice, I'm sure theyre lovin all that room :D, yeah im using plastic plants at the moment. That meal must've been filling lol

Just a normal daily feed for my guys.

Hey in your response about shrimp, anything is fine as long as it is not a salt watered animal. I used to feed my axie a bit of prawn now and again until I learnt that salt watered animals should not be fed to a fresh watered one.

But as Carson says, worms are definitely the way to go. I've learnt my axie will only accept earthworms and does not enjoy the organic compost worms I got him. Curses!! :D however saying that, my other two do enjoy the worms so no harm there!

Be careful on the meat, I've heard that axolotls can't digest mammal tissues, and sometimes it can be full of calories for them. Don't quote me on that though, but I've never fed my axies meat. They live on a diet of bloodworm, pellets, and worms.

Don't forget to keep your tank at a stable temperature as well. I'd follow Carson's advice on the water conditions as I don't have much experience in that.

Ooooh and don't forget to check out the handy axolotl sites on this forum! :happy:

And another thing, welcome to the forum! :p

hey choock, just so you know even if you handfeed your axolotl the possibility of ingesting gravel is still pretty high. Plants would actually prefer sand, and it would be much safer for your axolotl.

Not sure what radium would actually do for the water, but if it's drinkable, it might be ok for the axolotl. Although I will say I have absolutely no experience/knowledge of what it will actually do to an axolotl(and it just sounds bad). I also would advise against getting 2 axolotls in a twenty gallon fish tank, as it might get a bit cramped. They get pretty big.

@Carson Yeah doesn't radium just sound awful lol? Apparently our town was voted the best in drinking water in our state, but then we have high levels or Radium...but i think its been fixed that was years ago...i'll still be careful though..and ok so probably a 30 gallon would be best..thank ya :D

@Scooty Thank you for the welcome, I really am glad I found this place, and thanks for the tip on shrimp, and i love your avatar :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back