Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axotlotl escape

Saint

Reaction score
I recently bought a new axolotl as a friend for my current one Chicho. However Midas is considerably smaller than Chicho so I set up a divider to keep them separate till Midas is big enough to be allowed to hang out with Chicho. However last night I heard a splash thinking its probably just one of them splashing about as they tend to do sometimes thought nothing of it. I then got up this morning and found Midas in Chichos half of the tank both of em quite happily relaxing together. I moved Midas back to his side just in case it turned nasty but I wanted to ask should I just let them be together or should I implement measures to stop Midas Free Willying his way across the tank?

zoezakella

Reaction score
LOL that is hilarious, boy what an adventure!!!

You have done the right thing moving Midas back as yes it will result in injury at some stage if one is bigger than the other! Younger ones are capable of more of a leap than the bigger ones thats for sure!

If I was you I would get a screen top for your tank to prevent this happening again or worse jumping out of the tank! Is your water at least 10cm's under the rim of the tank??

You can make cheap DIY screens yourself so it does not need to be expensive! Best of luck he certainly sounds a character :D

Saint

Reaction score
Yea there is like a good 25cms between the top of the tank and the water so he/she can't jump out of the tank. Ok cool I shall keep them separate for now then, I was thinking of getting some mesh to go over the top to stop escapades to the other side.

Saint

Reaction score
We have heard several attempts at night splashes etc but Midas never actually made it to the other side til last night. Chicho always walks up to the divider and watches Midas intently. Whether thats because she wants to eat or play I do not know.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1