Question: What kind of food can i feed baby axolotls?

cheycollins

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I am wanting to start to breed my axolotls.
what kind of food can i feed baby axolotls?
i now about brine shrimp and Daphnia but can i feed them microworms or whiteworms
and other types of food for newly hatched axolotls.

AW: What kind of food can i feed baby axolotls?

Hi,

here you can find good information on food for small caudate larvae:
Caudata Culture Articles - Microfoods
And maybe this article is helpful, too:
Axolotls - Rearing from Egg to Adult

I haven't kept axolotls yet, but from my experience with larvae of other salamanders and newts, whiteworms usually are too big for recently hatched larvae. Mabye they eat them if you chop the whiteworms in smaller pieces, but remember that during the first time little axolotls only eat moving food. So if the pieces of white worms fall directly in front of a larva's mouth it will probably prey on it, but maybe it will ignore it if the pieces of worms are lying on the ground without moving.
I noticed that it can help if you move the piece of worm in front of the larvae's mouths a bit with a toothpick or a similiar tool. Not too much, only as much as a live worm would move. That worked quite well with my larvae of fire salamanders.
But whiteworms are not good to be fed as a sole food. I'd recommend to feed larvae of brine shrimps, daphnia, moina and freshwater copepods. And whiteworms only from time to time as an addition.

Peter

My babies are one month old now. I started them on freshly hatched brine shrimp for the first week or so and I am now feeding them finely cut up live black worm. They are growing really well and casualties are low. I have tried many times to successfully raise axie babies and this is by far the best result I have had with feeding. Just remember to keep them clean and keep the food coming. Best of luck :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back