Question: What is this white gunk of my axolotl?

owins

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have noticed my black axolotl having this white gunk all over its body, i think its from the surface because it top of the water had like a oily film over it. i got rid of this by disurbing the top of the water with my spray bar on the filter

Can anyone confirm what this is? sickness or what? and how can i stop it from happening or comming back?

owins-albums-axolotl-picture17599-white-goo.jpg

What are the tank parameters?

I'll be the first (of many) to say it - The gravel you have is no good for an axie.

Bren

Also what is the temperature of the water? When the tank is too heat it can be a sign of heat stress. I once had that problem and it was like they started 'shedding' their mucus a bit.
I cooled down the water and I gave them a tea bath (1 teabag black tea (with no other things added)/10L water) and after a few days swimming in tea they got back to normal.

Lol, I know. Sounds weird (like putting axies in the fridge or so). But I've been told that it works and it did. It's actually one of the few things for random problems that actually worked.

So what's in the tea that works? I'm imagining all sorts of homeopathic remedies for axolotls now:D what about whale music and meditation? :lol:

Lol. The tannins in tea baths (and almond leaves, sometimes people use them too?) have an antifungal/antibacterial effect.

Edit: Oh I found something over here. Tea baths for axolotls: Caudata Culture Articles - Illness Part 2

I think the tea is a great idea. It will sooth your axolotls irritated skin, however you need to fix the cause of the problem to keep your axolotl healthy so it doesn't return. If there is a film on the top of the water, I’d say you have poor water quality.

Irritated white patchy skin is a good indicator of too high a temperature or ammonia poisoning.

I suggest do a complete water change and keep the tank as cool as possible. If you haven't already, buy a water test kit. The big water bully is ammonia, so start with that one first. Keep doing daily ammonia checks, and once it reaches 0.50 ppm do a 50% water change.

Also try a tea bath for relief, like Morrison suggested :D

and replace the rocks with sand or a bare bottom, pebbles probably will get swallowed.

Good luck, let us know how your cutie gets on

yeah i think it might be heat stress, the tank got up to 20 degrees the other day! it cant be ammonia cause i did a half water change the other day and put the stuff in that takes out all the bad stuff like ammonia. the water is cooler now so hopefully they get on the improve

Lol. The tannins in tea baths (and almond leaves, sometimes people use them too?) have an antifungal/antibacterial effect.

Edit: Oh I found something over here. Tea baths for axolotls: Caudata Culture Articles - Illness Part 2

Thanks, that makes a ton of sense with the tannins and all in fermented tea and as the article say's oak and beech leaves would be an excellent source of tannins if tea is hard to come by (I should probably of known that being a Horticulturalist:eek:)

Last edited:
20 degrees is at the higher end of acceptible temperature... i dont think it would have caused him to look like that! But cooler is always better :)

I have a VERY thin film on the surface of my tank and it doesn't cause any trouble. I always thought it was from the live plants decomposing perhaps (and don't panic, I do remove all decomposing leaves that I see). :) It just kinda looks like clearish/whitish dust even..

Hi,

What is the pH of the water? I can't be sure but if the water does too acidic they get what I refer to as acid burn (in no way a technical term) that makes their skin (and the water) get a film on it. If you run your fingers along the inside of your glass does it feel like there is a slimy film on it? If so, this could be the problem and you might be able to fix it with a decent water change.

My black axolotl gets this "look" to him also. I have wanted to know what it is myself. I found he went worse when i put him in the fridge :( Every time I changed his water this white stuff was floating in it. He is now in his fully cycled tank with a constant temperature of 17 degrees C, but its still there.
You say tea is good. If he is still eating and looking happy, is this white stuff something that he can live with?? And, can the tea be put in the tank, or must he come out for a bath??

I have a VERY thin film on the surface of my tank and it doesn't cause any trouble. I always thought it was from the live plants decomposing perhaps (and don't panic, I do remove all decomposing leaves that I see). :) It just kinda looks like clearish/whitish dust even..

If it's an "oily" film then it's probably al layer of dead bacteria. At least that's what I've been told. It can't do any harm. If this is so, then you're right with the decomposing plants.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back